1937 buffalo nickel grade/value ?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Barber dime 94s, May 7, 2015.

1. Barber dime 94s

Barber dime 94s Active Member

image.jpg image.jpg I just won this buffalo nickel on an eBay auction. I really don't know a lot about this type of coin. So what do you guys think on grade and value ??

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

How much did you pay for it? Did the seller make any claim about the condition?

Chris

4. Barber dime 94s

The listing said full horn/ high grade . Really the only reason I bid on it was the listing right below it was a NGC au53 buffalo and to me didn't have as much detail as this coin. So I put in a bid and got it for less than 5 bucks.

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Personally, I think your coin is XF given the lack of detail on the obverse, but at $5, I don't think it will hurt you.

Chris

6. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I would guesstimate AU. That would put it at about $6.

7. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

I would say AU-53 . Nice coin and worth what you paid or maybe a few bucks more .

Barber dime 94s likes this.
  8. Barber dime 94s

I had searched around eBay looking at ngc and pcgs coins to get an idea of a grade . Even then it was tough for me as I would look at an au53 that looked similar then a au58 that would even a couple ms62 coins. So I thought it was at least low AU. I believe redbook has au50 at like 8-9 bucks so I don't think I got a bad deal. Thanks everyone for posting.

9. rzage

'37 s were usually well struck , But some do have weak areas that mimic wear . I see minimal wear on the high parts . Your reverse seems to have been struck by a polished die as the rear leg , in a protected area with no wear is barely there . I like it .

Barber dime 94s likes this.
  10. Barber dime 94s

Yeah I didn't notice that untill you mentioned it. It funny how the leg is barley visible but the letters spelling five cents and some of the other details seem well struck. I've read about polished dies causing weak details that are confused for wear but I never factor that possibility in when buying a coin . Always asume it's just wear.

11. rzage

Usually wear has a different color , where a weak area which should have the same color .

Draft saved Draft deleted