1937 Australian Proof Crown ANA Certification service.

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Bob Evancho, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Bob Evancho

Bob Evancho Well-Known Member

Not quite cleaning. I acetoned it based on the instructions I was given to remove the PVC, poly vinyl chloride, oil residue. As show and tell for two coin clubs I belong to, I teamed this Proof 1937 with choice AU examples of circulation strikes of 1937 and 1938.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

The 1938s in unc. slabbed grades still seem to fetch rather a lot though....

Bob Evancho likes this.
  4. oz_in_ohio

oz_in_ohio Active Member

No matter what you did, if you used so substance to get residue off, YOU CLEANED IT!!!!
    There is no middle of the road...it is like a black and white situation with no shades of grey or gray. However you think what you want but if you did anything to the coin, you have taken away the natural look.... Speaking as a retired dealer.

5. oz_in_ohio

oz_in_ohio Active Member

Do you want a medal or something???? Why dont you show it on here or are you afraid people will see you cant grade properly???

6. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

I think your confusing cleaning a coin to remove toning (where the metal on the surface has reacted to form sulfides or oxides) and using a solvent to remove organic contaminants

Acetone only removes organic contaminants that are adhered to the surface of the coin. It's not considered harmful cleaning since it doesn't affect the coins surface and will not affect the value (assuming the toning of the coin matches the surface under the organic material). In some instances such as PVC plasticizer, failure to use a solvent like acetone will result in permanent damage to the coin.

Hope this clarifies things

Bob Evancho and Maxfli like this.
  7. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

It should. But I'm betting it won't. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted