1936 Walker... She Had So Much Potential

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Evan8, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

This strike is insane. But when I recieved the coin, just utter disappointment. Should've seen it in the seller pics (they weren't that good), but I was just so consumed by the fact Liberty has a left hand:(.

2019-02-12-19-17-55.jpg
    2019-02-12-19-18-55.jpg

At first I thought about finding whoever did this and, well nevermind. But then, upon closer inspection, the center sun ray has a small spot of corrosion. Maybe the cleaning was justified after all... had to have been a better way though. Makes me sick. I mean I didn't pay much, she just had so much potential. Just look at that strike:drowning: and she will never straight grade:(

Maybe Mr. Daniel's can help.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

You're right about her left hand. Certainly well defined. Sorry about the harsh cleaning.

Evan8 likes this.
  4. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Wow, someone went crazy on this one. Still not a bad looking piece, but it would never straight grade as you say. 2E016D58-2230-44DE-9824-0223639871AE.png

Evan8 likes this.
  5. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I hate when this happens... you get all pumped about a potential big score and BAM! .... cleaned.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    Evan8 likes this.
  6. Evan8

I mean it looks like something starting eating into it on that ray. But come on acetone, soft toothpick to gently remove the spot, distilled water. Anything but a brillo pad or whatever did this. They did more damage than the spot that was there.

7. Evan8

Without the scrubbing, it could have easily made 66.

8. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Seems like it would have had a PL look by the look of the fields. How’s it look in hand?

9. Evan8

Surfaces arent reflective. Other than the spot, it is blast white and frosty.

10. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

If it helps you sleep better tonight, I had a similar and maybe worse experience with a (what appeared to be a) full DCAM 1952 50c last week. Turned out to be a milk spot removed with a bench grinder or nuclear fallout dispersion. Pretty coin minus a small spot removed. It would have been a PR-64/5 DCAM with the spot, barely more than scrap since the liposuction though.

No matter how long you’re in the game, bad photos eventually get you. The adage is true, if you don’t get taken once in a while, you’re not buying enough coins.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    C-B-D, Evan8 and CircCam like this.
  11. Evan8

Very true. Few months ago I bought a 1922 D wheat. Difficult coin in MS. This one was MS brown according to the pics which were pretty decent. I pull the trigger on it and about a week later i get it in the mail. Open it up and the coin is salmon pink, like fresh out of a vinegar and salt bath. My heart sank. I even made sure it was the same coin in the seller pics. It was. He must have soaked it in vinegar after the pics were taken or so I thought. I start looking at his other items and his Lincolns were really interesting, almost too nice too many with vibrant natural looking toning. Made me realize he was doctoring his photos heavily. I forced him to refund my money and take the coin back which he did. I told him to be a little more honest in his photos and then he blocked me like he didnt do anything wrong. Either ebay is getting worse or I have just been lucky until recently.

12. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Another reason why people who clean coins need to be shot.

Evan8 likes this.
  13. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

I wholly disagree and would instead suggest that we address people who ruin coins. Let’s concentrate our shootings on them. People that clean coins can be true heroes.

14. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I've never heard that before, but it makes sense! Seems like every few weeks I get excited about a coin and then bummed out when it arrives. It does happen with regularity.

Kirkuleez likes this.
  15. Mr. Flute

Mr. Flute Well-Known Member

That's why I prefer to always buy in person or from online sellers I already trust and who put good effort into their photos.

Draft saved Draft deleted