1936 Steel? Penny

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Aikman, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Aikman

Aikman They guy with the pennies

Hi there I do have a question here. I found a 1936 wheat back penny that seems to be made of steel. I have looked it up and there doesnt seem to be any answer on why they were made :confused:. I have posted a pic its not a great one though but I will edit this tomorrow with a better shot. Can someone conferm this that would be great

Thanks
    Andrew

34761_1378201328953_1049474240_30885331_5148421_n.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. djaeon

djaeon Member

Kinda looks like there's some bronze showing through. Maybe it's electro-plated with something?

4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

None were ever made in 1936. Now we need you to confirm something, you say it's steel. Does it stick to a magnet ?

5. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Is it strongly attracted to a magnet ?

Thinking alike :)

6. Aikman

I will post a better picture tomorrow of the front and wheat reverse aswell tomorrow. I did notice it Im not sure if what happend to it. I did get it in my change about 5 years ago. And yet im in Canada so its quite a rare site for me.
    I will test it out tonight and give yous my results in the morning

7. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Start with whether the coin is attracted to a magnet. If not then it is not steel.

8. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

I think its coated with mercury!

johnmilton and rlm's cents like this.
  9. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I'm waiting for Majorbigtime to comment. You know it's coming.

10. stealer

stealer Roller of Coins

The copper is showing through the plating. It's plated something.

11. panda

panda Junior Member

yea, definitely plated with something. i can't really tell from the pictures, but from what i see, i would give the kid a D-, if this was a school project.

when you retake the pictures, look for the little flower button on your camera. use that its macro, and take the picture from about 1-2 feet away.

12. Aikman

Thanks Panda I will do that for sure. :)

13. Numismatist47

Numismatist47 New Member

Someone dipped that penny in something.

14. Aikman

So maybe it is Mercury coated.

15. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

I see copper, it's definately plated.

16. Aikman

Okay It does not stick to a magnate so its for sure not a steel penny. I dont know if it has been mercury coated or not. I posted 2 better pics of the penny. I have been looking for answers for a long while now so maybe this can be answered.

38467_1389008559127_1049474240_30909800_6705121_n.jpg jjj.JPG

17. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I can pretty much assure you that it has been coated. However, determining just what was used to coat it (even in hand) could well require testing.

18. djaeon

djaeon Member

Didn't they used to use cents to demonstrate electroplating as a science experiment in school pretty often? I seem to remember something like that in one of my science classes as a kid.

19. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

There is a simple chemistry experiment to change the appearance of a copper cent to either silver color ( like here) or a gold color ( shown in video). The layer is very thin and after carrying it around for a while,the student usually spends them into circulation.
    http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1262456/make_a_gold_penny/

20. Ponexau Saliphiou

Ponexau Saliphiou New Member

Hey i have a 1936?????,On back of pennie may look like a S below and it look like shiny and bright i see little gray or sliver looking,it feel on a magnet like it want to touch but don't stick to it,edge is sharp is it worth anything?????please reply thank you......

21. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Quick answer is no, based on what you posted. Please post images. Welcome to CT.

Draft saved Draft deleted