1936 s buffalo mintmark

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Chrissss1990, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Chrissss1990

Chrissss1990 Member

hey guys what do you make of this mint mark, i was looking on variety vista and im determined to say rpm DMR-003 stage 3 .

then it looks like there could possibly be a p under it judging by the bit underneath the s aswell.

i dont know up for opinions as its abit out of my knowledge. thanks guys

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Can't be a P under it.

tommyc03 likes this.
  4. Chrissss1990

Chrissss1990 Member

That's what I thought what do you think if that's the case

5. Michael K

There is no case. 100% cannot be a P under there.
    There are S over S and D over D and S over D and D over S.
    The P only started in 1979 with the SBA's and then 1980 on all the other coins except the Lincoln cent, and then on that for only 1 year 2017.

Cheech9712, tommyc03 and alurid like this.
  6. Chrissss1990

Chrissss1990 Member

It could be s over d?

7. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I see the possibility of a die chip in there.

8. Michael K

If the 1936 S over D was a known variety which I don't think it is.
    How would the D get under there? It would have to have already been struck in Denver, and then shipped to San Fran and the S repunched.
    There are certain denominations and dates that have S over D. This isn't one of them. The Jefferson nickels have several.

9. Chrissss1990

Chrissss1990 Member

I'm very confused because it doesn't look like a die chip looks like a different mint mark under. Could this be a new variety

10. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

It looks like a die gouge to me.

11. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

Look at the bottom of the "S". It looks to me as a "D" . Like the top of a "D" and if you look at the right bottom of the "S", you can lightly see the shadow of the other part of the "D". Just what I think. In the book of "Cherry Pickers' Guide non are listed. It's as if, it has been polished out, as a clash.

12. Chrissss1990

Chrissss1990 Member

Thanks for your reply. I have looked at the (D) mintmarks and to me it looks like a d under there as at the top you can see the hook on the (D) like the Denver minted buffaloes have.

I can defieltly see the faint D outline you are talking about. I have attached some full shots of the coin aswell. It seems to be in great nick however

13. Chrissss1990

Chrissss1990 Member

Full shots of the coin

Attached Files:

14. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

Send a copy or the coin to Bill Fivaz to see what he has to say about this coin. I may see him Monday. I will ask if he knows of this.

15. Chrissss1990

Chrissss1990 Member

How do I get in contact with him

16. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

The S mm punch is deterioration damage. As the main design dies of a coin can be worn by overuse, so can the mm punch, and it is much smaller. Sorry , there is no D under the S, it is just extra metal that wasn't pressed down because a small part of the die was missing. The dies for the coin and for any mint mark are opposite of the surface of the coin produced, So the raised section of the S is the deepest in the mm punch, the edges of the S are the shallow part which will break or chip off, leaving an area where metal will fill ( and produce a raised area of the finished coin ) if you have seen the alphabetical punches used to stamp ID # into tools or other metal surfaces, they are the opposite of a mintmark die because they indent the letter.
    Jim

tommyc03 and Michael K like this.
  17. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

A great looking coin for being 82 years old.

18. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

I talked to him tonight. He said it was not. Sorry. I showed him the picture you posted of the close up of the mint mark.

19. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

A very nice coin indeed. Good shape it is. Sorry it's not a RPM. But still special

20. Chrissss1990

Chrissss1990 Member

please peoples opinions on this 1983 d dime would be great.
    is there doubling on the bottom of the ear?
    in got we trust?
    the leaves and flame?
    and who thinks this is a rpm?

thanks guys
    Thank you very much what would you grade a coin like this?

Attached Files:

21. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

I really dont know. Looks kinda regular. They have to be in the 66. 67+ to be worth much. Near perfect.

Draft saved Draft deleted