1936 proof or error buffalo nickel?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Kaycee, Sep 18, 2016.

1. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

This is just my opinion, but I think you might need to learn a little more about coins in general and what constitutes "rare". One thing you really don't want to do is risk ruining a potential relationship with a reputable dealer in your area by inundating him with junk. Granted, he/she might not say anything to your face, but he/she might just be thinking, "Oh no! Here she comes again!"

Asking questions and posting good photos here is a good place to start. Do you have a Red Book or a book on grading US coins? Those would help, too.

Chris

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kaycee

Kaycee New Member

I ordered a Red Book right before I posted this because I was giving myself a headache surfing the Internet because of a lot of conflicting information from people who think they know and others trying to get over on people. Some of the coins are graded mostly silver dimes and half dollars standing liberty quarters but I didn't find anything rare in that batch of coins. I'm trying to weed out everything I know for a fact is common and put everything that is a possibility of being rare or that is questionable to the side for more expert advice. The amount of coins collected is insane but it's fun looking through them all and hopefully I learn a lot in the process. I knew she always looked through change and looking for certain coins and to this day on the rare chance I find a wheat cent I put it somewhere safe until I can get home and add it to a clear lamp that is almost full of them. I know given the condition even some of the possibly rare or scarce dates aren't going to get a good grade and like I said it's doubtful I will ever sell anything unless I find that one in billion (doubtful but you never know, stranger things have happened) I just want someone to be able to sit down with someone who can teach me a thing or two and show me the ropes since it's sometime easier face to face.

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I guess I should have mentioned that the Red Book, while it contains a wealth of information about every coin that has ever been used or produced by the US since colonial times, is not a good source for determining values. These values are only published once a year and are often inflated.

Chris

5. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

Read the first part of the Red Book. There is a lot of good information for beginners in the intro section of the book. I would get the collection organized before worrying too much about value of the coins. It will be much easier to search through if it is organized. The Red Book is a very good resource for organizing your collection.

6. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

Well, in answer @Kaycee it was the look, the poor strike and color, that made me think of the lead one I had (maybe still have).
    Steve

7. Kaycee

Kaycee New Member

You guys are all so helpful and I appreciate all the help and kind answers unlike some places where people just jump down your throat and make you feel dumb even though they were once as green as I am. I think am heading in the right direction and at least sorting things according to how it makes sense to me. I will most definitely be back with more pictures and questions down the road. Crazy that I have had all these for 10 years and am just finally sitting down to go through them. Not in a huge rush and am gonna take my time and who knows what I will find and learn in the process. And who knows maybe this will feed into my hoarding I mean collecting of awesome things addiction and give me something new to search for. (My hoards are very well organized thank you very much and no worries so far everything is contained to a single row triple stacked along two basement walls)

8. Stevearino

You're welcome Kaycee. Keep coming back to CT. Ignore those of us who are snippy/having a bad day. Much greater percentage of folks willing to help.
    Steve

9. Dale Lassiter

Dale Lassiter Active Member

I don't think !!! You have anything there. If not, just spend it ???

10. Stevearino

Oh, no. Don't spend it. If it's lead it has value as a counterfeit (yeh, sounds counter-intuitive) but many collect counterfeits, especially the old-time ones, not the new Chinese fakes which are a scourge on the hobby.
    Steve

11. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I don't think it's lead. The color looks wrong.

12. Stevearino

I haven't seen my lead nickel and half for over 30 years, so I am completely open to being proven wrong. It being soft, according to the OP does support my guess, though.
    Steve

13. Walkers

Walkers New Member

While it would be remarkable for a 1936 Proof Buffalo to enter circulation, I do not find it an impossibility. Long ago I found a circulated (EF) 1916 Matte Proof cent

14. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

PMD= post mint damage

Draft saved Draft deleted