1936 proof or error buffalo nickel?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Kaycee, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Kaycee

Kaycee New Member

Hey guys I am new and trying to determine an aproximent value of a 1936 buffalo nickel. I am thinking this is either a proof or an error coin since you can clearly see the date in 2 different locations but honestly I do not know that much about coins. I was lucky enough to receive a bunch of old coins that were my grandmother's and this really stuck out as being odd and different. Do I have a gem or just wishful thinking?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

It's either a fake or somebody went absolutely HAM on it

4. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

5. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

wishful thinking

6. Kaycee

Kaycee New Member

OK so in street slang around me (Chicago) going ham means going all out and topping everything else... so on coin world is going ham good or bad cause I don't even know. If it is a fake when would they have started making it. This has been sitting in a closet for well over 10 years (my grandma died in 2006) although knowing her probably a lot longer than that.

7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

First, welcome to the neighborhood, Kaycee!

Let's put it this way. If your coin isn't a fake, then it was damaged very badly after it left the Mint.

Chris

ldhair likes this.
  8. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Welcome Kaycee.
    Folks have been making these type of fake errors for many years. You have to waste a coin or two but you can come up with one that looks like the one you have.

9. Kaycee

Kaycee New Member

Thanks you guys I appreciate the help! There were all kinds of great coins but this one I was really unsure about because there wasn't anything about 1936 errors that I could find . Now I guess I will have to make a decision at some point as to if I want to make something out of it or if I want to keep it in that same box tucked away so when I die someone will get excited for no reason, and move on and start researching some of the others.

10. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Have fun with it. That's what the folks here do with it. You just never know what you might find. I hope you find some really cool stuff.

11. cpm9ball

Put it in a 2x2, mark it "Fake or PMD" and use it as a learning tool. You aren't the first person who has come to this site wondering about some odd looking coin, and you can always refer to it.

Chris

dwhiz likes this.
  12. Kaycee

Kaycee New Member

I am thinking maybe making myself a jewelry piece which would be a cool way for me to wear something my grandma stashed away for years but part of me also wants my son to find it in a good 50 years and get all excited over those and the 100 1943 one cents that are not "the 1943 one cent" just to disappoint him from the grave. Ugh choices choices...

Smojo likes this.
  13. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

I like her already. Making plans to mess with somebody's head after you're dead.

14. cpm9ball

Geez, you sound like your son is a disappointment to you already. Why would you want to do something like that to him after you're gone? Am I misreading this?

Chris

15. Kaycee

Kaycee New Member

No my son is awesome and we have a great relationship if you don't count mornings lol, but he also loves to prank me and randomly scare me (he is 13 and all boy) so this just could go so far with helping me get the last laugh...

silentnviolent likes this.
  16. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

This coin reminds me of a counterfeit buffalo nickel I found in the cash register in my parents' cafe in the late 50's. It was clearly made out of lead. I might still have it but is buried in my "vault." It was the same color and had poor detail, but not the double date. I also had a lead half dollar. @Kaycee, is the "nickel" soft enough that you can dent it with a fingernail? And welcome to CT!
    Steve

17. Kaycee

Kaycee New Member

I just checked and yes it actual is. It's really soft and I probably never would have noticed. How did you know to ask this and what does it mean?

18. Christopher290

Christopher290 Active Member

someone was busy... but howo_Oo_Oo_O

19. cpm9ball

This reminds me of the commercial about the mother & son playing "Tag". As he is rushing off to school, he tags his mom saying, "You're it!" Later on as he opens his lunch, his candy has a note on it, "Tag, you're it!"

I still don't know if getting the last laugh after you've passed is such a good idea. My Mom passed 10 years ago at 85, and I still miss her.

Chris

20. cpm9ball

Lead is soft enough to either strike a counterfeit coin with a fake die or pour molten lead into a mold.

Chris

21. Kaycee

Kaycee New Member

I'm sorry to hear about your mom. I do still think my son will get a kick out of it though. I already told him since he used to have trouble cleaning his room and would drop shoes and socks wherever he took them off and I would go behind picking them up that since I have to touch everything he owns 100 times that I am going to hide his inheritance in 5 dollar bills throughout everything I own (behind pictures, in pockets of boxed up clothes, in a coffee mug) so that he has to physically touch everything I own instead of having some type of estate sale. Needless to say you can now eat off the floor in his room. We have joked back and forth about things like that even though it's kinda morbid it can get pretty hilarious at times. On another note is there anyone that can suggest a place in the Chicagoland area for me to take some of the other coins in to be looked at that really know their stuff and are trusted. I don't want to sell anything but there are some cool half cent (horrible condition) and a few rare one cent pieces I would like to have looked at so I can start separating the real from the fakes and I am in way over my head.

Draft saved Draft deleted