1936 Lincoln damage on reverse?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by biged239, May 23, 2011.

1. biged239

biged239 Member

Is this a mint damage or something else? I am referencing to the metal at bottom of reverse.

Thanks Big Ed 1936 obverse damaged reverse.jpg reverse damaged.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jon4485

Jon4485 Junior Member

it looks to me like a small cud but if the rim looks damaged where the extra metal is then i'd say pmd

4. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Is the edge indented?

5. biged239

biged239 Member

I will have to look at it under a microscope. I believe it looks separated not indented. The rim on front is OK, and the rim has a crack under the cud looking part. I know it is hard from pics to help. I don't know if I can get a pic of the rim? will post if I can.
    Thanks Big Ed

6. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

It MIGHT be a cracked planchet but I would like to see a picture of the edge of the coin at that location.

7. iGradeMS70

iGradeMS70 AKA BustHalfBrian

Usually a SPLIT PLANCHET causes an unusual affect (similar to what a coin looks like when struck through cloth) over the entire surface on a coin and is usually concave. This alteration looks to be convex. I vote small cud, also refered to as a die chip, if the rim is smooth. POST A PHOTO OF THE RIM and then I will make my final diagnoses. :)

-Brian

8. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

A picture of the edge would help. Can't see any indication of damage on the picture of the obverse. It's a possible cud.

9. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

How about a photo of the rim AND the edge?

10. iGradeMS70

iGradeMS70 AKA BustHalfBrian

+1

11. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

Did a little adjusting of the light and it looks like it was hit on the edge causing the rim to raise.

[​IMG]

12. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

I agree with your assessment. Thanks.

13. biged239

biged239 Member

Sorry about not getting a rim shot yet. I have been working an not at my collection. I will post after the holiday, going out of town. I believe rockdude is right, but I will not know till I magnify rim.
    Thanks Big Ed

Draft saved Draft deleted