1936 D rpm-?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by steve.e, Jan 22, 2017.

1. steve.e

steve.e Cherry picker

Anyone have any good info on merc dime rpm's. I Cherry picked a beauty today IMAG0670_1.jpg IMAG0664_1.jpg IMAG0677_3.jpg IMAG0677.jpg IMAG0677_1.jpg any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

ACoinJob and Matthew Peak like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

1936 D RPM- 003 DD north

4. steve.e

steve.e Cherry picker

Where can I find this info?

5. Paddy54

Well you can go to Varietyvista.com or Wexler , any Cherrypicker would know where to find this information ..
    However your dime looks from your images to be cleaned.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  6. steve.e

steve.e Cherry picker

It is actually rpm 1 D/D/D. The markers for 3 & 4 are not there. I appreciate your help. But any variety collector would check the markers before blurting out an answer. I was hoping for a site for exclusively merk dimes.
    Where I could find value and rarity. If it is cleaned it was a professional cleaning. No hairlines.

7. Paddy54

First of all you are correct as to the coin being a 001 rpm. now that I am looking at this on a computer screen as appose to a pad.
    My question is Mr. Cherry picker if you had the specimen "in hand" and knew so much why didn't you in the first place do the attribution yourself?
    Are you Lazy, and want others to do the research for you? Evidently you must....

In your first reply "Where can I find this info?" is proof in its self that you know Jack squat about Cherry picking, or varieties!
    "Professional cleaning" What the heck is that? Was it dry cleaned at your local laundry? The correct term is "conservation" ,and your coin was by the images posted CLEANED! And I will add...." Not by a professional."

Your immature manners or "LACK OF" are "NOT WELCOME" for any help given!

One other note.... an RPM isn't an error it's a variety that said you posted in the wrong forum.:p

rickmp likes this.
  8. steve.e

steve.e Cherry picker

I found you reply very insulting.

9. steve.e

steve.e Cherry picker

What is this forum for? When I post look picked a1972 wddo3 today I get 2 likes and no discussion. What's the fun in that ? I think you're a meany, but I'm not mad at you. Your life has just made you a total head. I'm sorry where is the variety fofum

10. Paddy54

You know steve.e I have wasted enough time with a you.
    I'm not about to have a battle of wits with someone who in the end will surrender due to lack of Ammunition !
    That said you're not worth the time or possibilities of getting booted here over someone who's IQ matches their shoe size. So it's time to give you an iggy.
    As you bring nothing to this party but a immature attitude .

atcarroll and rickmp like this.
  11. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I am having a hard time with it being either variety, 001 seems more likely. And would bet that it is. There is too much glare to see die scratches or even to see three D's the way they look on variety vista's site.
    Can you take a few clearer pics?

12. ACoinJob

ACoinJob There are still some out there to be had.

I like the D/D reverse. My 2017 RED BOOK, soft cover, says on page 431 "MISSTRIKES & ERRORS" a "Multiple Strike" Mercury dime goes for $800 . Nice cherry picked! :)

13. Paddy54

@ACoinJob There's no such thing as a D/D reverse.
    A D/D ,or D/D/D refers to a RPM which stands for a repunched mint mark. A repunched mint mark isn't an misstrike or an error it's a Variety .
    That's where the mint mark on the coin was punched multiple times in the die. Not the coin struck multiple times. So the above coin isn't worth $800. As it isn't an error coin. It's a variety .
    Due to the fact over 16 million 36 D dimes were minted and that this coin from the op images looks to be Xf - Au "Details " as it has been cleaned makes its value somewhere between melt and what someone would be willing to pay for a coin that has been cleaned .

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
    Charger426 and ACoinJob like this.
  14. ACoinJob

Apparently, there was some smaller Mintmarks in conjunction with the newer larger ones back then too. But 23-D, and 30-D the book explains are counterfeits. D/D or D over D mintmarks are not in the RED BOOK as for any specific Variety. What's your source of reference for Varieties of this coin having either small & large mintmarks, or Repunched mintmarks, please? Oh, rereading from previous posts, you mentioned VarietyVista.com. I went there, and they mentioned something in Mercury Dimes having RPM. Whereby REDBOOK doesn't reference it. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  15. ACoinJob

Multiple Strikes carry a different column than a whole page generalization of a catagory of coins. I never said it was a misstrike or an error. It's multiple struck. I haven't found a repunched source for anything.

16. Paddy54

Varietyvista.com

17. ACoinJob

Thanks, I went and looked but am stumped why the abbreviation of RPM isn't in the RED BOOK on the "Commonly Used Abbreviations" on page 8.

18. ACoinJob

This is eating me alive now, lol. I'm going to the US-MINT.GOV and ask them if they have ever reworked Mercury Dimes in the mid to late 1930's with Repunched Mintmarks only, and NOT THE ENTIRE COIN itself. Good luck if it's real.

19. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Yeah, good luck with that.

Garry Martin likes this.
  20. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

You need to first understand the minting process, you can look on the web, to get that info, this coin was not reworked, or even retooled, and it is definitely real!
    It isn't even multiple struck! You need to do some more homework.

21. ACoinJob

First, we need to Define Repunched Mint mark. Repunched means to restrike, purposfully as in overstriking the old mintmark (rework) as for a single blown plancet. Planchets are often double blown because the mint set them up that way with the overhead cams the size of Osterich eggs or better. No tool (rework) or multiple struck coin I'm aware of is indeed reworked by the mint. The scraps are remelted for their silver content, and remade by the planchet factory part of their processes. It's elementary. Multiple Struck coins are work in progress, NOT REPUNCHED at all.

Draft saved Draft deleted