1936 D half dollar Texas Independence centennal

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Uriel Sotelo, Feb 16, 2020.

?

Is it worth sending to get graded

1. Any

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. Any

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Uriel Sotelo

Uriel Sotelo Member

I just messaged the seller and asked him about it and he told me he has paper work he got when he bought that lot of coins. But I will be taking them in to get a second opinion still. I just don't get why would they make counterfeit using silver

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Uriel Sotelo

Uriel Sotelo Member

can you you upload some pictures of the ones you own to compare them?

4. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

You don't understand.
    It's not about the cost of silver.
    But the numismatic cost of the Texas Centennial coin.
    This is not a generic silver round.

if you go to eBay and check SOLD auctions you'll see prices from $60 to $200+ quite a bit ABOVE the silver content.

So Silver has nothing to do with it being fake or not fake.
    here's example of Silver fake Morgan manufacturing .. being made in China
    https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/chinese-coin-counterfeiting-ring-4071202

fake Texas Commemorative coins cost about $2.20 each from China.
    and they are pretty good. If you are not able to discern small design variations based upon manufacturing techniques then looking at pictures won't do any good.

for instance for Morgans ...
    https://news.coinupdate.com/modern-chinese-counterfeit-coins-part-1-quality-factors/

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    Chuck_A likes this.
  5. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

If it is 90% silver, again IF, it only has ~$6.50 in silver in it.

6. Clawcoins

FYI, manufacturing costs last year of getting silver out of the ground in China was under $4.25 from an article I read. Which if I recall was 50% more than the previous year, which was more than that previous year.

So silver is quite profitable when compared to the global silver spot price.

7. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

8. Clawcoins

Oddly, I do not have any inventory pictures for my Half Commems .. guess I missed 'em. So I can upload some pics, but I think they are in the SDB at the bank ... which means not any time soon.

@C-B-D would be a good person to ask too ...

9. Hommer

Me too. I voted "Any" lastnite but after a good nights sleep, I thought better of it and changed my vote to "Any".

10. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Why do you think they're silver? Did you have them analyzed on a Signetics PM verifier?

11. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

That's... not where you go for rare coins. Especially not two at a time, and at melt.
    So, wait... you got these coins that can go for hundreds of dollars if real, and you put acid on them, or dragged them across a stone?

12. Uriel Sotelo

Uriel Sotelo Member

Yes I did not do any of those things we are in New times where you just pass this thing like a metal detector and for whatever different metals gold silver ect it gives you a graph with the metals it detected I love it I got it at a yard sale for $40 saved $323 bucks if I would have got it online

13. Uriel Sotelo

Uriel Sotelo Member

And for y'all that voted for any so did I. Bc any opinion or information you gave me was taken into consideration and I appreciate you all for taking the time of day to stop by and show you're interested. In the end I'm down to 1 of them 2 coins they bought one for $43 don't know why or how they came up with that amount but I made my money back plus more and got to keep one

14. Chuck_A

Chuck_A Well-Known Member

They appear to be cast counterfeits and if you sold them to unsuspecting people who don't know any better you can be arrested. Chinese counterfeiters make about anything that you can imagine, both in silver and other metals. If your only motivation is making a quick dollar, I feel sorry for you. Do some research and go to a legitimate coin dealer and let them tell you what the others have said.

15. Hommer

It's a Ronco!! LOL

16. Clawcoins

here ... look at CENTENNIAL
    at the formation of each letter. Not just curve / straight segments but the thickness, how they end and the specific shape of each segment of each letter including the ends.
    The most obvious, being the 2nd "N" (or the 1st of the double Ns) for comparison.
    If you pay particular attention to the "sharpness" you'll see a lack of sharpness, or a "softness" in everything too.
    upload_2020-2-17_14-20-55.png upload_2020-2-17_14-21-34.png

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted