1936 cent with 2 errors. Are they related to each other?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Pennywise4040, Jun 4, 2023.

1. Pennywise4040

Pennywise4040 Active Member

There is an apparent lamination error in Lincoln's jacket that almost seems to point at the R in Liberty.
    PICT0146.jpg PICT0136.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Pennywise4040 likes this.
  4. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

The R looks to be a fill and you got a lamination on the jacket.

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  5. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

What kind of fill? Grease perhaps? I have 2 of these w/o the "left leg". I call it the "peg leg". :p

Laurie B and eddiespin like this.
  6. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Yes, I inadvertently omitted that word. Thanks for filling it in. :)

Pennywise4040 and SensibleSal66 like this.
  7. Pennywise4040

Potty dollar you nailed it. I'm impressed. Here a few more pics. If you want more detail of a given area let me know. I also noticed that 1936 DDO-002 and 1936 DDO-003 have odd R's in liberty. PICT0157.jpg PICT0149.jpg PICT0153.jpg PICT0171.jpg

8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It be looks like the missing part of the R in LIBERTY was scrapped off. It’s very faint but it is there and given the wear it’s hidden a bit more.

9. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

It is not any doubled die, it is likely to be die deterioration doubling as common. This overuse might also have filled the R leg also. IMO, Jim

10. Pennywise4040

I never speculated on any sort of doubling. The R is a mint error as shown in the link posted by potty dollar 1878.

11. Pennywise4040

The R in liberty was NOT scraped off as you have speculated. The R is a mint error as shown in the link posted by potty dollar 1878 above.

12. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

13. Rick Stachowski

14. Rick Stachowski

15. justafarmer

justafarmer Senior Member

With all due respect, I find the broken "R" to be a dubious die marker. On a die the coin design is represented by the void left in the die. It is really nothing more than a hole in a metal rod - it has no mass and occupies no space. Therefore the "R" is nothing and if it is nothing then it can't be broken. I hope all of this makes sense.

Now to qualify my above statement. The broken "R" exhibited on this coin could originate from the working Hub. On a hub the coin design is represented by the metal remaining on the Hub. It has mass and occupies space and can be broken or polished away. If absent from the Hub the design feature will not be transferred to the die.

DDO-011 is a doubled die - therefore the broken "R" Working Hub was squeezed twice into the die. Which indicates many more broken "R" working dies should have been created making the broken "R" a common characteristic of 1936 Lincoln Cents. Is the Broken "R" common in 1936?

Kevin Mader likes this.
  16. Pennywise4040

How the R came to be, and if it is common or not, is unknown to me. "Broken" is the term that Wiles uses for this variety on the Variety Vista website. My point was that the "broken R" was created at the mint and not the result of PMD.

17. Laurie B

Laurie B Well-Known Member

Wow I would of thought nothing about this coin being an error. Just looked old and dirty to me. o_O

18. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Do you see the faint part of the R in this picture? That void area on the die was filled in with grease.

upload_2023-6-10_4-56-11.png

Laurie B likes this.
  19. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Maybe you'll get lucky and find one one day, then you'll be as famous as he is.

Laurie B and SensibleSal66 like this.
  20. Rick Stachowski

Here's a 1936 broken R I own
    upload_2023-6-10_8-38-5.png

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  21. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

All I have is Broken Dreams!!! :bigtears:

Laurie B and Rick Stachowski like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted