1935-S Peace Dollar - GTG - fingerprints? UNC

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Brett_in_Sacto, Jul 4, 2015.

1. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

Ok, this is a coin I am considering at a premium, and I'd like opinions on grade. Also, there are obvious fingerprints that are appearing now - can restoration services remove this, and how do you think it will affect grade?

Thanks to everyone in advance as always! I appreciate the time! $_57.JPG Img_140409203634.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

To be honest Brett, anyone here who tries to grade a coin from a photo shot through a slab also ties his/hers shoelaces together in the morning. But yes, the fingerprints can be removed but (I) would not try it.

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I'm not sure that you will be able to have the fingerprints removed through conservation. It's understood that the prints have a tendency to etch themselves into the metal. Any attempt to remove them may do more harm than good.

If you are a member of the NGC forums, why don't you post this question along with the photos on "Ask NCS"?

Chris

tommyc03 likes this.
  5. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

I'm with Chris with this as no one has removed fingerprints without removing the luster of the coin as the acid from ones skin does etch them in the metal unless caught immediately. Once the fingerprints show up on the coin it's already too late .

tommyc03 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted