1935 Arkansas Centennial Commemorative

Discussion in 'Contests' started by 40_mila_kokkina, Jul 18, 2014.

?

Guess the grade of this toned 1935 Arkansas Centenial Half Dollar

Poll closed Jul 21, 2014.
  1. Details

41.7%
  2. AU 55

16.7%
  3. AU 58

25.0%
  4. MS 60

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. MS 61

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. MS 62

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. MS 63

16.7%
  8. MS 64

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. MS65

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. MS 66

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. 40_mila_kokkina

40_mila_kokkina Active Member

Thank you! And likewise!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Commem' guys got's to stick together.......:)

40_mila_kokkina likes this.
  4. 40_mila_kokkina

Indeed we do because if there's no interest in them then our investment also suffers. It's incredible how rare the commemoratives are but given the lack of following their prices keep dropping however I think a reversal is due because eventually some will see a great deal to be had in these.

green18 likes this.
  5. 40_mila_kokkina

Contest is over but no one selected the answer ANACS thought grading this coin. I'm actually a bit surprised of the outcome of this coin too. I'm thinking it graded the way it did due to the obverse strike being slightly lower than average and that they weren't too sure either that the toning was the real deal however ANACS wasn't willing to chance it and alienate me as a newer customer of theirs. ANACS decided to grade it MS-62. I was hoping this coin (if free of suspicious issues) would have gotten a MS-64 or MS-65 evaluation. Understand that a (in my opinion) coin like this goes into a MS-62 holder it is a borderline grade, meaning the graders are suspicious of its circumstances (but don't know what to make of it) and gave it a yellow light when looking at it. Do you think I got lucky with the MS-62 result or is it a candidate for crack out to a better grade? What are the chances of it coming back a Details grade from somewhere else?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  6. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I saw this on Tapatalk and couldn't vote and forgot about this thread. Does the coin look uncirculated in hand?

7. 40_mila_kokkina

It sure does to me! What would you have guessed the grade would be?

8. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I'm at 58, I think I see wear on the obverse. Colors are very cool. I can see a Details for questionable color.

9. 40_mila_kokkina

I best leave it alone then considering the grade is acceptable. Curious what other people here think. Any thoughts anyone?

10. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Yeah, I feel you got real lucky to have it grade at MS62. The reverse looks great but the obverse looks weakly struck. Odd, I say chances of coming back in a details grade are high, but only if they can figure out why the obverse looks worn.

11. Twiggs

Twiggs Coin Collector

I was close :p

12. 40_mila_kokkina

That means you're getting the hang of this. Nice going.

13. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I'm thinking the same thing.

14. green18

:)

15. 40_mila_kokkina

Where do you think the obverse looks worn (I'm not too experienced with this coin type)? One thing if a weak strike occurs but it's another thing if it is actually worn. I've seen many MS-61, MS-62 coins show some evidence of possible wear however sometimes one has to wonder is it due to strike or actual wear?

16. green18

True, weak strike can sometimes be confused as actual wear on the coin......

17. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Pics are always a problem when viewing a coin with a weak strike. It's definitely a weak strike and not wear per the grade you got. With that said, there is an area around her forehead and his cheekbone that could be mistaken for wear. The proof that it looks worn is nobody really voted for anything above an AU58 and check out how many votes for a details grade you got. Cool contest, we hardly ever have a contest that nobody wins. :D

18. Zephed

Zephed New Member

Draft saved Draft deleted