1934 Wreath Crown's Top Acquisitions for 2019 (#5 - #1)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by 1934 Wreath Crown, Dec 29, 2019.

1. 1934 Wreath Crown

1934 Wreath Crown Well-Known Member

Isle of Lesbos, Mytilene c.412-378 B.C. EL Hecte (2.56 gms) Ch XF★ Strike 5/5 Surface 5/5 Fine Style
    Bodenstedt-67; SNG Von Aulock-1702.

Head of Zeus wearing horn of Ammon right; Reverse: Female head wearing stephane right within incuse square. I thought the orange toning looked nice.

Lesbos Mytilene El Hecte Obv.jpg
    Lesbos Mytilene El Hecte Rev.jpg

Edward the Confessor (1042-66) silver Penny ND (1050-53)

London mint, Godric as moneyer, S-1176, North-820.

Expanding Cross Type. +EDPER | RD RE E, diademed bust left with scepter / +GΘDRIC ΘN LVNDN, voided short cross with expanding limbs; two circles at the center. A rather nice example of this issue, I thought.

Edward The Confessor Obv.jpg
    Edward The Confessor Rev.jpg
    Great Britain - England 1654 Gold Unite Commonwealth
    S-3208, N-2715 (AGW = 0.2653 oz.)

At MS62, the highest of only 2 known graded examples of this popular short-lived series, notable for the English legends and omitting of a monarch's portrait. 1654 is by far the rarest date of this series which were all rather crudely struck. The largest gold coin issued during the Commonwealth, it was loathed during its time and earned the name ‘breeches’ because of the design of the two shields.

1654 Commonwealth Unite Rev.jpg

Ancient Ptolemaic Kingdom, Ptolemy II (285-246 B.C.) AV Octodrachm (27.67 gms) NGC AU★ Strike 5/5 Surface 5/5

Svoronos 603. SNG Copenhagen 132.

I liked the idea of having 4 royal portraits on one coin. Jugate busts of Ptolemy II and Arsinoe II right (the "sibling lovers"); Ptolemy is diademed and draped, Arsinoe is diademed and veiled; AΔEΛΦΩN above, shield to left / Jugate busts of Ptolemy I and Berenice I; Ptolemy is diademed and draped, Berenice is diademed and veiled; ΘEΩN above, identified as theon ("gods").

Ptolomy II Octo Obv.jpg
    Ptolomy II Octo Rev.jpg

Ancient Sicily, Akragas c.413-406 B.C. AR Tetradrachm 16.98 gms
    SNG Lloyd-818; Kraay-Hirmer-178.

Female charioteer driving fast quadriga right, her robes billowing behind her, Nike above flying left to crown driver, splayed crab in exergue; Reverse: Two eagles feeding on downed hare on rocks, one screeching with its head raised and one down.

Seltman, in his article 'The Engravers of the Akragantine Decadrachms' (NC 1948), places the issue of this tetradrachm in 411 BC, immediately prior to the issuance of the famous decadrachms of the same city, which are widely regarded as among the most beautiful coins ever produced and beyond the reach of mere mortals. Although he assigns the dies for this tetradrachm issue to a 'lesser engraver' he rather derisively calls 'the Trier', some experts disagree with him because of the style of engraving of the horses and the chariot which show a strong affinity to the decadrachm. Also, the presence of an upside-down crab, as a control mark on both denominations, points to the same engraver being responsible for all the dies.

My most prized acquisition to date.........…...........[​IMG]by far:happy::D

Akragas Tet Obv.jpg
    Akragas Tet Rev.jpg

Happy Holidays and have a fantastic New Year to all.

Najib

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Najib, The Ptolemy II octodrachm is my favorite :D, followed by that stunning penny of Edward the Confessor :jawdrop:!

shanxi and 1934 Wreath Crown like this.
  4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I believe the downgrade of this coin is based on the eagles rather than the chariot. They are not quite up to the dekadrachms but that is not saying that they are not wonderful 'Tries'. The chariot is great. Overall, Akragas is my favorite 'Greek' city for coinage with fine work found even on some of the bronzes. Thank you for sharing this very special one.

1934 Wreath Crown likes this.
  5. 1934 Wreath Crown

Yes absolutely correct @dougsmit. But I think the horses still manage to give quite a lot of the feeling of the larger and much more expensive sibling and give the flying chariot look.

6. Yorkshire

Yorkshire Well-Known Member

Your other gold unite image is missing

7. 1934 Wreath Crown

Actually I forgot to enlarge it. It is there at the bottom as an attachment. I’m going to attach it again just to be sure 2E3A71ED-0F01-44C4-B111-EFA3083A1984.jpeg

8. 1934 Wreath Crown

9. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I don't know anything about the non-ancient coins and so can't factor them into my rank order. That Akragas definitely deserves the #1 spot! :). I wonder who decided on the orientation in the slab and why they chose that rotation.

The Zeus Ammon hekte is lovely too.

10. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

Congratulations on a great year!

Just FYI - I've only seen that quote mentioned once (on the ex-Heritage, ex-Gemini piece which sold for $75K to the Sheikh). Their descriptions of that era tend to be blovated/biased to try to sell more coins. The Agrigentum dekadrachm's artist control mark is pretty broadly known to be the grasshopper he engraved on the coin, not the crab.

Additionally, the coin that description was written in was recently condemned as fake so I'd take that whole listing with a grain of salt.

It's more likely - and much more broadly accepted - that the crab was used as a civic badge to identify Akragas. It appears facing either up or down on a variety of denominations and types, from the single to double eagles, sometimes with a face on it, and is present even down to the litrai:

Akragas.jpg

11. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

I must be partial to british coinage as I love that Edward penny too !

Q

12. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

All are great.

13. 1934 Wreath Crown

Are you saying the HA Akragas tet turned out to be a fake? They haven't removed it from their historical records but when I enquired, they said they hadn't sold one ever!!

14. 1934 Wreath Crown

It's more likely - and much more broadly accepted - that the crab was used as a civic badge to identify Akragas. It appears facing either up or down on a variety of denominations and types, from the single to double eagles, sometimes with a face on it, and is present even down to the litrai:

View attachment 1044765 [/QUOTE]

WOW....that one is a beauty :)

15. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Najib: BEAUTIFULL coins!!!!! I really love the England/ Commonwealth AV Unite:cat: But, really all are masterpieces of numismatics. Congratulations on your fantastic additions.
    The Akragas Tetradrachm is exceptional in design/ engraving:) Happy 2020!
    John

16. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

Yes, that's correct. I was viewing lots from a sale coming up this year which included that coin - the auction house the collection is being sold at condemned it as fake (and it is obviously fake when seen in-hand) so I assume the estate will either eat the loss or seek recompense.

If a coin is condemned post-sale, the auction records remain, unfortunately. ACSearch will sometimes have comments on them if people have manually added them but the persisted records can be misleading.

17. 1934 Wreath Crown

Thanks John, I'm glad you liked them. I've just added a couple of PF70 2019 sovereigns and a complete 1989 set (500th anniversary type) in PF70UC to my collection in what will be my final extravagance this year. But shall post them on the moderns forum later.

Wish you and all the CT members a fabulous 2020.

panzerman and Theodosius like this.
  18. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

That 1989 UK Proof 500th Anniversary Issue is striking/ looks medieval/renaissance! That will be one "modern" type coinage on my list too! The UK to their credit kept their old Pistrucci designs intact/ did not go go for the modernistic "kitch".
    John

Draft saved Draft deleted