1934 Wreath Crown's Top Acquisitions for 2019 (#10-#5)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by 1934 Wreath Crown, Dec 29, 2019.

1. 1934 Wreath Crown

1934 Wreath Crown Well-Known Member

1934 Wreath Crown's Top Acquisitions for 2019

As most of you already know, I'm not knowledgeable about ancients and since I collect both moderns and ancients, I will need to mix my top 10 purchases for 2019 a little bit. Having said that, my favourite acquisitions for 2019 were either ancients or medieval coins. I acquired fewer coins this year but concentrated on some which I have always desired but couldn't acquire for one reason or another. I apologise in advance to any diehard fans of ancients who don’t like to see moderns displayed on this forum.

So here goes:

Victoria Proof "Gothic" Crown 1847 Plain Edge KM744, S-3883, ESC-2577

The plain edge Gothic Crown is by far the rarer of the two 1847 Gothic Crown types because of its edge and the fact that it is pure silver. It seldom comes up for auction and although this example has seen some handling, the rim bears a few dents and the surfaces bear hairlines and contact marks, for me it is a coin that I was very happy to acquire. The engraving of the 1847 Gothic Crown is heralded as perhaps the most beautiful on any British Crown.

1847 Gothic Plain Edge Obv.jpg
    1847 Gothic Plain Edge Rev.jpg

Victoria gold Sovereign 1879 AU55,
    London mint, KM752, S-3856A, Marsh 90 (R4)

With a mintage of a mere 20,013 pieces, all of which went into circulation, the 1879 London mint sovereign is one of the key date coins in any sovereign collection. With very few specimens known, this is in the higher tier of the ones graded, the highest to date being a modest MS61.

1879 London Sov obv AU.jpg
    1879 London Sov Rev AU.jpg

George III gold Guinea 1764
    KM598.

A scarce and popular, two-year type, early guinea of George III, hard to find in any grade

From the Lake County Collection

1764 Guinea Obv.jpg
    1764 Guinea Rev.jpg

Russia 1833-CNB HT Silver 10 Kopeks C-164.1 PCGS Proof-63 CAM Bit-348.

The only such example certified to date.

Bit-348.

The only such example certified to date.

1833 10 Kopeck PR63 Cam Obv.jpg
    1833 10 Kopeck PR63 Cam Rev.jpg

ATTICA. Athens. Ca. 440-404 BC. tetradrachm (24mm, 17.19 gm, 7h)

HGC 4, 1597. SNG Copenhagen 31-40. Kroll 8.

Mid-mass coinage issue. Head of Athena right, wearing crested Attic helmet ornamented with three laurel leaves and vine scroll / AΘE, owl standing right, head facing; olive sprig and crescent moon behind, all within incuse square.

Attica Athens Obv 1.jpg
    Attica Athens Rev.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I would take that Goth Crown all day everyday. Sweet coin.:greedy::greedy::greedy: I am liking that owl too.

1934 Wreath Crown likes this.
  4. 1934 Wreath Crown

1934 Wreath Crown Well-Known Member

Obviously I can't count.....The title should be #10 - #6......SORRRRRYYYYY:shame::shame::shame:

5. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

1934 Wreath Crown, I love that Gothic revival crown of Queen Victoria, it's the most flattering portrait of her on British coinage :D. Your Owl looks like an example too :).

1934 Wreath Crown likes this.
  6. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

I think I've already seen your gothic crown, and loved it at first sight. It's still the case !!

Q

spirityoda and 1934 Wreath Crown like this.
  7. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

I agree with Cucumbor/ my pick the Gothic Crown/ gorgeous!
    John

Draft saved Draft deleted