Featured 1934-P Washington Quarter - Light, Medium & Heavy Motto Varieties

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by OcalaFlorida, Sep 24, 2014.

1. OcalaFlorida

OcalaFlorida Active Member

1934-p-l-m-s-set_opt.jpg

1934-p-light.jpg
    Light Motto
    The first obverse hub of 1934 Light Motto
    The letters look like mush

1934-light1_opt(1).jpg

Medium Motto
    The Second obverse hub of 1934 Medium Motto
    The letter look normal but the top of the verex in w is below or level with side one in the W in "WE" 1934-med1_opt.jpg

Strong Motto
    The Third obverse hub of 1934 Strong Motto
    the Strong middle vertex /\ of the letter W in "WE" projects above the left and right strokes.

1934-heavy1_opt.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
    TJC, phankins11, jello and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

good write up, and examples

4. atrox001

atrox001 Senior Member

How about...Stage A EDS (Early Die State), Stage B MDS (Mid Die State), and Stage C LDS (Late Die State).

Larry Nienaber

5. OcalaFlorida

ddo-1934.jpg

that was just my personal set.. I don't have coins to represent those other possible die states.

atrox001
    From what I seen but I am no expert on the light motto lds and vlds the motto is almost completely gone
    and the medium the letters will be thin and the vertex will not go above the side of the w if its thick check it for a Double Die Obverse. the Heavy motto goes about the vertex in all die stages.

I shared a picture of mine lds of the medium DDO

6. quarter-back

quarter-back Active Member

You might include the 34D heavy and medium motto coins and the 34D heavy motto with the 1932 mint mark style for a total of 6 unique die marriage combinations for 34 (not counting DD's and RPM's).

OcalaFlorida likes this.
  7. OcalaFlorida

8. OcalaFlorida

yeah I dont have the medium 1934-d heavy and medium coins in a grade better then vg-08. I have been saving for them to truly complete set along with higher grade ddo.

9. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

Very nice illustration. Washington quarters are an under-rated series!

phankins11 likes this.
  10. phankins11

phankins11 Well-Known Member

I'm a huge Washington Quarter fan! Working on a full complete date\mint mark set from 32 all they way to current ATBs. I'm going to include these varieties along with the Business Strikes with the B reverse and the earlier proofs that are not included in the dansco 8140. Great Illustration and I couldn't agree more with @bsowa1029!

11. redcent230

redcent230 Well-Known Member

So does anyone know if there is such for 1932 Washington Quarter for Light, Med and Heavy Motto ??

12. phankins11

phankins11 Well-Known Member

@redcent230 no, a 1932 only features the light motto. They didn't start changing hubs until 1934

Draft saved Draft deleted