1934 Mercury Dime Slightly Rotated Reverse ?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by bear32211, Jan 13, 2018.

1. bear32211

bear32211 Always Learning

I picked up a very nice 1934 Mercury Dime and have it in this holder as straight as possible. As you can see from the obverse to the reverse, there is a slight rotation on the revers side to the 5 o'clock position. I have been doing some reading up on this and the question then must be asked. Is a slightly rotated reverse Mercury a common occurrence when they were made ? Some have said yes and that the only good rotated reverses are those that reach 90 degrees on more. Your thoughts and pictures. This has peaked my interest. DSC04526.JPG DSC04527.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Honestly, it's hard to tell just how rotated it is based on the photos. The best trick is to use a mirror and photograph it in front of a mirror where you can see both sides. Having said that, anything under 10% doesn't tend to hold much of a premium. They're always fun to find, and I'll keep rotated die coins, but they don't really hold a value.

bear32211 likes this.
  4. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

It appears to be slightly so, but isn't enough to be in any way remarkable imo.

bear32211 likes this.
  5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It looks like it is about 15 degrees.......nothing to write home about.

Chris

bear32211 likes this.
  6. bear32211

What is considered a "Rotation" on a die, something above 30 or 40 degrees ?

7. cpm9ball

Most dealers don't get excited about anything under 90 degrees. Most bidiots get excited about anything over 15 degrees.

Chris

Stevearino and bear32211 like this.
  8. bear32211

Then to each his own when it comes to a "rotated" reverse. For Merc's, is this a common occurrence when produced compared to other coins?

Seattlite86 likes this.
  9. cpm9ball

Since the major grading services don't classify errors in their census, there is no way to tell, and I would be willing to bet that the great majority of rotated die errors are not even submitted for grading.

Chris

bear32211 likes this.
  10. Dimedude2

Dimedude2 Member

I think Mercury Dimes generally tend to have that slight offset.

bear32211 likes this.
  11. Seattlite86

It is probably no more common than for the other coins of its time period. Having said that, 15% isn't enough to get us collectors excited. Of course, you could list it on eBay as a 345 degree rotated dime and see if anyone bites. I keep any rotated dies I find, but would not be likely to spend extra on something not more than 20%

bear32211 likes this.
  12. bear32211

:rolleyes: 345 huh, some smarty would come back saying it looks like about 350 degrees.:arghh:

Seattlite86 likes this.
  13. Jersey magic man

Jersey magic man Supporter! Supporter

I am guessing that there is no way to tell whether the obverse or reverse die was the one that was rotated. That being said, do we just use the term “rotated die” generically without reference to side?

bear32211, Seattlite86 and SmokinJoe like this.
  14. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

Yes, a commo0n occurrence.

15. Seattlite86

You are correct, as we don't actually know which side of the die was rotated. Most people like to put the obverse right side up and show the reverse as rotated. It's easier on the mind.

bear32211 likes this.
  16. bear32211

So the question then is asked, what side of a blank is stamped first ? If the back of the coin, now called the reverse, is stamped first, then the obverse now the front is now called the reverse, right ?:arghh:

17. cpm9ball

It doesn't work like that. When the planchet is inserted into the coining chamber, it is sitting on the "anvil" die and is struck by the "hammer" die. Both dies are impressed into the planchet at the same time.

Chris

Seattlite86 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted