1934 Detroit $1 (depression currency)

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by camlov2, Oct 1, 2010.

1. camlov2

camlov2 Member

I asked my local shop about a local bill from the depression time period that he had in his personal collection. He brought it out to show me (not for sale) but at the same time he also brought out another bill which interested me. He seemed willing to sell it but he actually asked me what I thought it was worth. Having no idea I asked to take a picture and research it first. So far I have only found one online but it was a specimen and graded 66. I was wondering if anyone had an idea of what would be a fair price for this bill.
    Edges are rough and the center bottom has a 1/2 inch split between the O and L in dollar but the main pictures/text are really clear.

1934 Detroit $1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. krispy

krispy krispy

Nice! I really like the reverse. A very dynamic central contrasting color vignette against a flurry of security graphics. Sorry I don't know much about these but I bet there are some ABNCo folks here that do.

You might search some of the past ABNCo auction archives for realized values.

Here's one other auction link to one of these notes as Specimen: LiveAuctioneers.com/item/4203665

4. camlov2

camlov2 Member

5. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

nice note from my backyard :) If the note at Heritage is for $126.50, the note in your OP might be valued at $10 or less??

6. kaparthy

kaparthy Well-Known Member

Well, you are in California and I am in Michigan, so my view of this is different from yours. These things are pretty common here, and often in (nearly) uncirculated grades. You need to understand the terms of issue: The City of Detroit paid these out at interest, but accepted them back for property taxes. Basically, the City was paying its bills based on its collections of taxes 90 days out.

Here is the best website I know of for Depression Scrip:
    http://www.depressionscrip.com/

This one cost a couple of dollars a few years ago.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The standard book, recommended on that site, in fact is Standard Catalog of Depression Scrip of the US by Ralph Mitchell and Neil Shafer. You can buy the book for about what your Series C note seems to cost at some auctions.

In fact, if you use the ANA or ANS Library catalogs, you will find a rich array of books and articles about these artifacts of the Previous Great Depression.

(If you do not want to buy the book, as an ANA Member, you can borrow it from the Library. ANS books are not for loan.)

This is an example of the old-equals-rare fallacy. You never saw one of these. But in fact, California Depression Scrip is known ... and hard to find in Michigan...

7. camlov2

camlov2 Member

Thanks for the info. I will pass on the information to him and see what he suggests as a price. I would offer over $10 just because I like the back so much. I don't think he would let it go for that little anyway.

8. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

camlov2, the value i threw out there was purely a guess! The value to easily go either way.

The best thing to do is ask him how much he wants for it. If he says $50, then i wouldnt insualt him by saying $10. If he says $3, you saved yourself $7 from your original offer.

9. camlov2

camlov2 Member

Got it, just saying I would be very happy if I could get it for that price. When we were talking we only came up with 7 known bills for the Chico currency he showed me (that we know of). When I bought mine it was many times that price. I hope he doesn't think I would pay the same for the Detroit.

10. camlov2

camlov2 Member

well, I got it for $10. Also picked up another MPC and a Fostoria Ohio depression script as well.

11. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

not bad at all :) did he suggest the price? Either way, if he sold it, he must have been happy with the price, as were you with buying it lol

i should find one from Detroit as well... heck, its only a 30 minute drive... or less

12. camlov2

camlov2 Member

He said 5, I gave him 10.
    I have heard from others that he is not friendly at all, but he is always willing to talk to me and bring out interesting items to show me.
    I don't know why I get special treatment from him but I appreicate it.

13. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

you dont know why you get special treatment??

lol

14. lincolncent

lincolncent Future Storm Chaser Guy

I just noticed that there is a 1932-S Washington for sale in the background of that pic. lol
    I guess 3 grand isn't too bad lol.

15. camlov2

camlov2 Member

That is the first time I have done that, normally he is the one reducing the price. Next time I decide to make a big purchase hopefully that is what comes to his mind. :)

I guess if the 32D is actually Gem it would be a great deal, MS 60, not so much.
    It seems like the prices on most of the coins are really high, they do drop if you show interest. I haven't bought any high dollar coins from him, a few bills though.

16. Jan Jones

Jan Jones New Member

I have a depression dollar issued by City of Hamtramck, Hamtramck, Michigan issued 2/15/34. Found it in my Mom's old collection of stuff. Perforations but in perfect condition. Any worth?

17. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

First, welcome to the neighborhood!

You do realize that this thread is about 6-1/2 years old, don't you? It is best for you to start your own thread so that you will get more input. It would also be advisable to post photos of both sides.

Chris

18. lettow

lettow Senior Member

Canceled Hamtramck notes are fairly common and are not worth much.

An uncanceled one is a rarity.

Draft saved Draft deleted