1934 CHICAGO CENTURY OF PROGRESS ELONGATED PENNY 1909-S!!!

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by biohc, Jul 6, 2015.

1. biohc

biohc Well-Known Member

HERE'S A REALLY COOL ELONGATED PENNY MADE FROM A 1909-S LINCOLN. YOU CAN'T SEE IF IT IS A VDB BECAUSE THE ELONGATE DIE COMPLETELY OBLITERATED ANY DESIGN ON THE REVERSE. I'VE HAD IT FOR AT LEAST 20 YEARS AND REALLY LIKE IT.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Cool , wonder idf it was a S-VDB ?

4. coindudeonebay

coindudeonebay SMS Guru

Kirkuleez likes this.
  5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Hey folks! You know that we often get people here who swear that something is on a coin that really isn't. Well, I've had to look at so many of those coins that I could swear that I see the top of the "V" just above the rope on the right end of the reverse.

Chris:wacky::wacky::wacky::wacky::wacky::wacky:

Jwt708 likes this.
  6. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

I used to have one on a better date 3c nickel but have never seen one on a scarce date of any coin.

7. biohc

biohc Well-Known Member

Well, I can't see anything on it. Here's a couple more photos from different angles. MVC-085S.JPG MVC-084S.JPG

8. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

That's what you get for listening to me! I was just "hintimating" about it. In reality, it's just all of those little bumps congregating together.

Chris

swamp yankee and dwhiz like this.
  9. biohc

biohc Well-Known Member

When I first discovered that it was an '09-S I'd had it for a while and was really surprised. I really looked for the VDB then and didn't see it.
    Still, it's a neat thing and I really do like it. I've got lots of odd stuff I've collected over the last 40 years or so. I'll post other stuff as time goes by.

10. miedbe7

miedbe7 Wayward Collector

My first reaction was what a shame. But now that I think about it, that is actually quite cool. Definitely unique.

11. Nevadabell

Nevadabell A picture of me.

nice coin you got there!

12. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

May or may not be able to tell anything for sure from that because some SVDB obv's may have been used for non-VDB cons. Although if you can show that the mintmark position is DIFFERENT than any of the four SVDB obv then you know it isn't a VDB reverse. So you might be able to prove it isn't a VDB, but you can't prove that it is.

13. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Jim would like this one he's looking for elongated cent images for a new book

14. d.t.menace

d.t.menace Member

15. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

A great way to put your dateless Buffalo Nickels to use. The Hobo Society was engraving these on site. P1010557.JPG P1010563.JPG
    I picked this up in January of this year. Come to find out their national office is just 4 blocks from my house. The society's secretary said I was the first true local who has ever stopped at their booth since they have been exhibiting. They also teach the engraving at that site and provide all the necessary tooling to preform the art. You must be a society member to qualify.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
  16. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

A really neat novelty coin. If you see the hint of a V, you've probably had 1 too many. If you decide to sell this, let me know-Seriously.

17. OdedPaz

OdedPaz Elongated Designer&Roller

True collectors of elongated coins don't care what the "carrier" coin is.

They (we) collect "die impressions" on the coins that were intended the impression to be elongated on.

Whether it was a 1909-S VDB or 1914-D or 1955 DD makes absolutely no difference.

BUT, since there are many elongated coin collectors who are also Numismatists, the carrier coin does matter to them.

Oh well. To each his own.

And, by the way, that coin is definitely pressed on a 1909-S VDB. I can see it with my laser perfect infra red x-ray vision... :)

Taxman and Jwt708 like this.
  18. Taxman

Taxman New Member

Since I collect both this would be a "twofer".

19. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

1909-S is still a key date and that is plain to see.
    What would a grader say? Authentic, PMD?
    I believe the 09-S VDB's were hoarded because of the low mintage.
    So the odds are that when this guy reached into his pocket and put a penny in the machine, it was more likely not a VDB.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
Draft saved Draft deleted