1934 A $20.00 of center

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Raizac, Nov 28, 2023.

1. Raizac

Raizac Well-Known Member

this is an interesting one the lower serial # looks like it is not straight. what would you pay for this one? 1934 A 20.jpg 1934 A 20-001.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Maybe a little low but not enough to interest me. The wear, creases and the stain lower the value.

masterswimmer likes this.
  4. Coins4Eli

Coins4Eli Collector of Early American Copper

That note is not going to brink much of a premium. If you were lucky you may be able to get $25 for it on eBay, but after fees and shipping its just not worth it. In my opinion it should just be spent.

PlanoSteve and masterswimmer like this.
  5. Raizac

Raizac Well-Known Member

Why in the hell would I spend 1934 $20.00 off center

6. Coins4Eli

Most people would not consider that note to be off center, and the note is in very poor condition. If you check eBay sold listings for a 1934 $20 note you will see that they are not selling for very much. The most recent sale being for $21.50. (See attached picture.) I personally spend 1934 notes all of the time, when I get them as change from dealers in coin shows or shops.
    Capture.JPG

Kentucky and PlanoSteve like this.
  7. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

I would pay you $22.50, do to it
    s condition.

8. Raizac

Raizac Well-Known Member

I paid 24.00 for it.. so I didn't do so bad

SensibleSal66 and Coins4Eli like this.
  9. Collecting Nut

It’s not an off center note. It’s a printing error so it’s an obverse misprinting. It is only a little low.
    This is a $100 note that is printed upside down. Each note receives 3 pint runs. The same run that printed it upside down is the same run that printed yours on the low side.
    EF6AE8A4-BBA2-44A5-910C-C925D119DA87.jpeg 9D197F2C-0142-456B-B3E0-64D071B1AA2C.jpeg

tommyc03 and masterswimmer like this.
  10. Collecting Nut

I had to look for this. I knew I had one. You can see this note is a lot lower than yours.
    EECD305E-524B-4D6F-8799-344C8061EC42.jpeg 2BB23B70-3A01-4EEA-8864-8EC3078274CC.jpeg

11. Coins4Eli

12. Collecting Nut

Yes I do. It’s one of many in my personal collection. Here’s a great folding error that I also own. I have a number of Gutter Folds and I have a couple of printing errors and fancy serial numbers on CSA Notes (Confederate Notes from the Civil War).
    5A907AE7-5145-49C7-ABCE-86068F556DFC.jpeg B04EACA8-C8C5-4403-A392-55D262EA7B72.jpeg

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  13. Jersey magic man

Jersey magic man Supporter! Supporter

The OPs note appears to be within BEP tolerances. Not an error, and not worth anything over face. At least not to me.

14. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

@Raizac, I've seen several of your "notes" posts now, & I have to ask for clarification as to your intention with your collection. If you continue paying high premiums for less than optimum specimens for your collection (in this $20 example, you paid 20% more than a serious collector would pay for basically a "spender"), you will quickly be underwater when it comes time to sell.

For example, if I found this note in circulation, I would either spend it on something useful, or put it into my investment acct ($20 I put into the acct last January is now $24.52). If I put a twenty dollar bill that is worth roughly it's face amount into a collection that is essentially stagnant, then I would actually be losing money (think inflation).

Btw, in "money" collecting terms, "old" does not equate to "valuable", in most cases (although I hear a lot of arguments against this idea :D). Condition is essential.

If you are a casual collector, & just want a few representative specimens, then it's OK to be non-discretionary in your buying. But based on your recent posts on various notes, I would be wary of continuing this trend before you do a lot more research before you buy.

...and learn the business & don't make things up...and delete YouTube!

I hope you will openly accept the advice/comments of our esteemed & knowledgeable members & not take offense. We aim to help/inform.

15. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Not "off" center, just poorly centered. A real off center would have part of the next note showing, if only by a little bit. Well centered notes bring a better price.

16. Raizac

Raizac Well-Known Member

@PlanoSteve Yes these are starter notes to build off of. they are the first notes that I have bought outright. we all start somewhere in collecting and I'm sure you and others have overpaid for stuff in the past. this is why I asked what would you pay for this.
    sorry for the slow response, i did not get a notification of new posts

17. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Yes, we have all overpaid at some point, but we have also underpaid.

My point with your start is that you first overpaid significantly, on several notes, which, frankly, I don't believe any of us would purchase at the prices you paid. What you did was shoot first & ask questions later. You're pushing the cart with your horse, when you should be pulling it! (insert additional cliche's here :D)

Very few of us started out buying something we don't know anything about, and then wondering if we paid the right amount, & certainly not several times in a row. So what I am suggesting to you is to keep investigating informational sources like CT & others to build your knowledge & then buy wisely. (Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.)

By doing this, you will be much more satisfied with the specimens in your collection, & you won't be worrying about what others might have paid. I have several hundred coin & note specimens in my collection, and on not any of them do I ever wonder what someone else may have paid. So, while I may have overpaid on some things, I do not buy something before I have an idea of its condition & value (to me). On a dollar cost average basis, I've done very well...& you can too. Do not be impatient with your acquisitions.

Again, I hope you will openly accept the advice/comments of our esteemed & knowledgeable members & not take offense. We aim to help/inform.

masterswimmer and Raizac like this.
  18. Raizac

Raizac Well-Known Member

thank you for the information!

Draft saved Draft deleted