1934 $1 SC with 1928 overprint

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by funkee, Aug 18, 2012.

1. funkee

funkee Tender, Legal

Considering all the multi-million dollar notes on eBay recently, this one actually merits a chin scratch. It's neat as heck. I didn't even know such a thing existed. But worth $1,000,000? I think not.

Check it out for yourself:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-1934-1928-SILVER-CERTIFICATE-Fr-1605A-PCGS-55PPQ-UNIQUE-THE-ONLY-SURVIVOR-/251132397510

If it is a continuation of the 1928 series as the seller claims, there should be no break in serial numbers, right? Does anyone know the serials to the last known run of 1928-E notes?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. urbanchemist

urbanchemist US/WORLD CURRENCY JUNKIE

item has been removed. most have been a fake

4. funkee

funkee Tender, Legal

Updated the link. Sorry.

Here are the photos for good measure:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. tbudwiser

tbudwiser Active Member

Woah! I didn't know it was possible for such a note to exist...

6. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

7. tbudwiser

tbudwiser Active Member

Yeah I had to delete the first couple words off the link the OP provided to make it work.

Thanks for the good link, Rick.

8. funkee

funkee Tender, Legal

Crazyness, the forum's link app added that extra http://.

9. Jamericon

Jamericon Junior Member

There is nothing "transitional" about this note. The definitive article appeared in Bank Note Reporter last year.

The BEP concurrently printed 1928 and 1934 $1 silver certificates during 1934 and 1935. They did so on separate plate presses and numbering presses. Someone mistakenly placed a 1934 sheet onto a pile of 1928s for numbering with 1928 serials. This makes the note an error--spectacular nonetheless, but that simple.

There is no technical or factual basis for the transitional label--it is merely promotional.

10. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

You need more likes on your posts Jamericon... good info.

11. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

I agree with MEC2, and will add that I enjoy Jamie's research and articles in Paper Money Magazine and Bank Note Reporter.

12. tbudwiser

tbudwiser Active Member

You agree but you didn't click like yourself??

13. funkee

funkee Tender, Legal

Thanks for info Jamericon. I guess the Friedberg number is not valid if it is an error note.

Draft saved Draft deleted