1934 $1,000 note Minneapolis

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Joe Campbell, Feb 7, 2022.

1. Joe Campbell

Joe Campbell Well-Known Member

Hello paper collecting folks. I picked this note up over the weekend and would love any information. Obviously it is not in great shape. I’ve seen that there is a 1934 and a 1934A series (?) maybe for this. Which one do I have?

Also, I know what I paid for it and am happy with the purchase but would love any feedback on how the more knowledgeable folks here would value this note.

thanks for the help.

8D09B600-860C-4C90-8D2E-AACC51EAA0EE.png 584259FF-2DDD-4B3B-92F8-9BC3CFD3B3AF.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I'd love to have a $500 or $1000 note -- heck, I'd love to have a $5000 or $10000. Just not enough to pay what they're worth. But I can still admire everyone else's... :)

4. Marsden

Marsden Well-Known Member

Yeah I really like the large-denom notes but I'm leery of buying any because I'd just lose them.

Joe Campbell likes this.
  5. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

Series of 1934 $1000 Fr. 2211-I

There has been a drastic spike in demand for large-denomination notes, and low-grade problem notes like this one have also seen an increase in demand. Due to the condition of your note, I would probably give a value in the range of $1600 to $1900 in the current market.

Joe Campbell likes this.
  6. Mac McDonald

Mac McDonald Well-Known Member

What were notes like this legitimately used for back in their day...?

Joe Campbell likes this.
  7. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

I believe the public used them for large transactions. My grandfather carried around a few so when he saw something he wanted, he had the cash to pay for it.

Mr.Q, Joe Campbell and -jeffB like this.
  8. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

Large transfers of money between banks. My wife used to be a banker. She saw these once in a great while before most banks went to electronic transfers.

Joe Campbell likes this.
  9. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Our daughter-in-law has worked in corporate banking for over 20 years. She advised us that she has not seen one personally but has seen millions of dollars in investments, accounts, and transactions through the years. A thousand-dollar bill would be like having a penny in their pocket. You have a winner thanks for sharing it.

Joe Campbell likes this.
  10. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

They were last printed in 1944 and last distributed by the Fed in 1969. They circulated in declining quantities into the early 1970s. Into the 1990s you could buy them for not much over face, like $15-20 over face value for circulated examples. The most common districts for the $1000 denomination are Chicago and New York.

NOS and Joe Campbell like this.
  11. marve

marve Member

ANY $1000 OR $500 DOLLAR NOTES ARE HARD TO COME BY IN ANY COND.
    AND THE PEOPLE THAT OWN THEM USUALLY KEEP THEM. LUCKY YOU.

Joe Campbell likes this.
  12. Joe Campbell

I believe that the Minneapolis notes had the lowest print quantities but I don’t know about survivorship. does anyone know if being from Minneapolis adds value versus the more common notes?

13. AZSteve

AZSteve Well-Known Member

I'm originally from Minneapolis, and a few people have placed value in that, you betcha! At least my late wife and my current special lady ....
    I'm in the Phoenix area now. A 1947 series, and a bit wrinkled and worn like the note in question. Think the biggest I've seen in 75 years is a $100.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2022
    Joe Campbell likes this.
  14. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Yes indeed, it does have the lowest print run of the 1934 and 1934-A Series, 12,000 for the 1934 and 4,000 for the 1934-A. The value is at least double face value, I don't have a current reference for value but that fluctuates usually up anyway. By way of comparison, I have owned the New York and Atlanta notes from these series and even they are rare - but in larger print runs.

My scarcest $1000 is:

1934amnotecleveland800.jpg

And this one has a 28,800 print run. The New York and Chicago banks have print runs of 500,000 and 300,000 split betwixt the series 1934 and 1934-A.

The Minneapolis is a nice pickup, with a 12k print run I'd hazard a guess that there cannot be more than a few dozen of them still out there.

15. Joe Campbell

Wow. That is a super nice bill. Want to trade?

16. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Or, for that matter, want change for it? ;)

Joe Campbell likes this.
  17. Joe Campbell

Yup, that’s even smarter. I have ten crisp blue 2009 series $100 bills. Trade - straight across.

18. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

I do not have a $1000.00 or above. I do have two $500.00. One I got at a local bank for face several years ago The teller called me because she knew and helped me in my collecting. The next one I went to a garage sale and found it for a sum of $600.00. Also when I got the other $500.00 I bought some unc $20.00s series 1934 Atlanta. Later while going through them. I found some crossovers. [Like, F45767946A series is 1934, the very next one's # is F45767947A is1934B] I found these two of maybe 20. Also have received a$100.00 1928 Gold certificate and over time many unc start notes.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2022
    NOS, midas1 and -jeffB like this.
  19. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Just love the thousand dollar bill, condition as stated is beyond rough though
    I think any premium would be a tough ask, many collectors are looking for at least
    A/U but again its hard to get in money wise and you can only afford a certain level.

20. Joe Campbell

There’s a sizable coin show in town this weekend so I plan on finding out what it’s actually worth (what someone will pay for it). I’ll let you guys know.

-jeffB likes this.
  21. Joe Campbell

Turns out the note was worth $1,500. I didn’t really drive a hard bargain and think maybe $1,600 was possible with the buyer looking to retail it for $1,800-1,900 or so.

Pickin and Grinin and -jeffB like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted