1933 Saint-Gaudens To Be Sold for $10-$15 Million

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by GoldFinger1969, Mar 10, 2021.

1. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Can we say INflation?

4. GoldFinger1969

But only a 5% return a year. o_O

For a 1-of-a-kind coin that has the Heaviest Hitters bidding.

Again, proving that coins by-and-large are lousy investments especially today's purchases. Maybe Ancients and other niche sectors will do better but overall.......:(

5. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

If the reserve price is inflated, it is often just a marketing ploy.

A unique coin which sold for $2M in 2000 is marketed as $10-$15M Value and a Reserve of $10M.

If the Market indicate $8M is the value, does failing to meet the reserve indicate a falling market or inflated value estimate?

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  6. daniel a DiBiasio

daniel a DiBiasio Well-Known Member

it sold for over 18 million dollars.awesome for our hobby!

7. GoldFinger1969

It would have been great if it were shown live on one of the cable networks.

8. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I didn't read this whole thread because there was a lot of speculation. So, I will give another speculation. I bet there are more 1933 Saint Gauden Double Eagle out there, but because of what happened to the Lanbourds, they are deep in somebody's basement that will never see the light of day.

9. GoldFinger1969

1 got turned in voluntarily (unreal) and if you believe an even number of 25 were originally in Izzy Switt's hands then there could be 1 or 2 more in the States or overseas in Europe.

I'm not sure myself. 1 or 2 maybe, and probably closer to just 1.

10. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

25 plus the two sent to the National Archives seems like a realistic total. Subtract those destroyed and those repatriated and archived and that's the likely total. Rumors of throwing one away is hogwash.

It's like the "My guns were lost in a boating accident" story circulating in some parts of the population. Plausible deniability.

11. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I just wish the rarest and most expensive coins didn't always seem to trace back to politicians who were supposed to return them, Mint officials or foreign dignitaries. It has a dirty deed feeling about it.

The double standards wreak since most pattern coins are never authorized for release and yet they are legally collectable items. But not those that would profit the investigators.

harrync likes this.
  12. GoldFinger1969

If the Langbord Ten were out, the coin probably sells for about $4 MM.

13. Mac McDonald

Mac McDonald Well-Known Member

Regarding the photo vis the link, interesting that NGC (and have seen also with PCGS) can/does orient their reverse labels to fit the straight-up coin...not upside-down...for some of the VIP high-dollar coins like this, but continues the opposite orientation for us regular collectors in general. Understand a British coin here but so nice to see it...could/should be done with US coins. I'm sure there are exceptions and have heard you can ask (somewhere, one of them, with or without success) for straight-up rev label, but c'mon...save for certain exceptions seems to me it should be a regular, no-brainer policy for all slabs with inverted obv-rev strikes as with U.S. coins.

Jim Dale likes this.
  14. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

A nice thought, but none of us have enough pull to do something like that or any "special" service by NGC/PCGS or anyone else. Those of us that are truly honest coin collectors will never get any special treatment unless we do have some "special pull."

15. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

That's not exactly accurate, it just depends what you want as "special treatment". You can request to have any coin holdered in any orientation that you want and they'll do it. You could probably request upside down labels as well. You just have to remember that just because you like some weird configuration doesn't mean anyone else will and it may become harder to sell something.

16. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

We'll see if PCGS will give me the requested Reverse up encapsulation.

Draft saved Draft deleted