1933 Saint-Gaudens To Be Sold for $10-$15 Million

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by GoldFinger1969, Mar 10, 2021.

1. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Yes but the higher it goes the less there are. Are there 2 over 10 mil, probably not. Over 9 mil 8 mil 7 mil who knows. Over 4 mil almost certainly after 5 milish who knows.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

@messydesk The link you provided had it between several other
    coins that together didn't add up to 3% of the Edward VIII.

4. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

Al Bundy !!! I miss NO MA'AM........:D

kountryken and wxcoin like this.
  5. GoldFinger1969

I have the Sotheby's 1933 Saints ("Farouk Coin") catalog. It's mostly 1933 cultural baloney and alot of nonsense by David Tripp designed to show that the coin was the only legit one.

Of course, a few years earlier they wanted Fenton thrown in jail and the coin confiscated.

6. GoldFinger1969

They can push the coin over the top.

7. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

@GoldFinger1969 Thank you for the clarification. I had heard/read that
    in the sale extreme rarities were grouped with common coins of the same type.
    Also that other rarities were listed seperately and lots before and after were
    usually more common of the same type as in the current Heritage auction

8. baseball21

No ones paying over 10 mil for a story especially a story that many in the collecting community despise.

9. GoldFinger1969

I hate the story as much as anybody but at least the 1933's have a story, unlike the 1932's....and the 1931's....and the 1930-S.....etc.

It can't hurt.

Now....when I get the 1933 Saints from Fort Knox, THAT'LL be a story !!!! :D

10. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

I think Dell Hansen will be going after both with really strong bids.

Cal

11. GoldFinger1969

Who is this "Dell Hansen" -- what's he collecting, and how did he make his $$$ ?

12. baseball21

That hasn’t been his history on coins of this price so far. He certainly could but I wouldn’t assume it’s a given

13. GoldFinger1969

We're all speculating.

I have to admit, I was surprised it was this guy Weitzman who bought the 1933. I thought for sure it was some finance guy or hedge fund owner. But he fits the type: an eclectic, whatever-grabs-me type buyer, which is something I can relate to.

Except the $7.6 million. :D

kountryken likes this.
  14. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

Dell Loy Hansen is a billionaire Utah real estate developer. He intends to go further than Eliasberg. Go to the PCGS registry, and for almost any US series, you'll see his collection at or near the top. See the link below. It's virtually certain he'll put big money into acquiring one of a kind US rarities.

Cal

https://coinweek.com/us-coins/eclip...shot-for-the-greatest-collection-of-all-time/

15. baseball21

No it's not even close to virtually certain considering he's passed on many of the multimillion dollar coins already. He has to if he wants everything, but he can easily just not care about those

16. GoldFinger1969

A U.S. gold coin in a collection I believe he already has many coins (Saints).....I'd be surprised if he wasn't a bidder. But we'll see.

kountryken likes this.
  17. baseball21

He has a ton of everything. My only point is look at some of the big money coins he's passed on, to this point being aggressive on the trophy coins has not been how he's been doing it. He's been very aggressive on some cheap coins (cheap compared to those) but there's several big ones people were saying the same thing of he'll do whatever it takes to get it and he didn't

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
  18. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

Beer or 1933 double eagle. Hmmm, BEER, I made my choice. Plus, I've only got 25 bucks in my wallet.

19. HoledandCreative

HoledandCreative Well-Known Member

Looking forward to their sales. Glad it is happening.

20. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Wake me up when it is over okay, thanks.

21. Mac McDonald

Mac McDonald Well-Known Member

Well, indeed I hope you all have made your pre-sale appointments to view these coins and stamps...you'll want to be prepared...! o_O

Draft saved Draft deleted