1933 Saint-Gaudens Double Eagle Graded MS65 (no holder !)

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by GoldFinger1969, Apr 9, 2021.

1. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

No way.....serious ?

I thought the guy was a bigtime coin collector, surely he had people who told him that's something you never do, right ?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

That was common back then. It wasn’t until more recently in terms of history that was viewed as doing something wrong.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  4. GoldFinger1969

I'm not sure about that. There might be 1 or 2 and maybe 3 out there....but that's assuming Israel Switt or whoever got an even 25 out of the Mint back in the 1930's.

Here's the best accounting coin-by-coin for all the 1933 Saint-Gaudens Double Eagles I can find:

https://coinweek.com/us-coins/united-states-1933-double-eagle-20-gold-coin/

And there's probably a picture of the ACTUAL Farouk Coin here (unless they used stock photos) :

https://www.coinworld.com/news/prec...-leather-bound-catalog-useful-collectors.html

5. baseball21

There’s over 10 known. Just because they were confiscated doesn’t mean they don’t exist. Whether you can buy them or not is a different story.

wxcoin and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Way.......

7. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I'm thinkin' there's more than a few, out there in private collections, in the ownership of people who know how to keep their mouths shut........

8. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

This thread sure took off today in more ways than one. Certifying the only "legal" example of this date is surely a feather in PCGS's hat. The grade they gave really doesn't matter. Now if the other 10 known examples were somehow released by the government into the wild then the grade would matter when compared to them. I was under the impression that King Farouk lacquered the coins in his collection. Maybe I drank or sniffed too much lacquer myself.

Stevearino and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  9. GoldFinger1969

Well, one guy did just that.....Feds didn't know he had the 1933 Saint....and he turned it in voluntarily in 2018 or 2019. :yack:

10. GoldFinger1969

Those coins were graded, though they are sitting in Fort Knox, waiting for my associates Pussy Galore and Odd Job to liberate them. :D

FWIW, the coins were graded MS66, 2 x MS65, 6 x MS64, and 1 appears to have been cleaned so I guess it's a Details Coin.

wxcoin likes this.
  11. baseball21

There was no choice after the case decision.

12. GoldFinger1969

If the CoinWEEK article is correct, it's likely the Kodak-Browning 1933 which was kept from the government after Stack lost his court case in 1950.

13. baseball21

Once the last case lost does it really matter at this point? Sure you could flee the country and there’s nothing they could do if you sold it in many parts of the world but why have the target on your back? For whatever reason a lot of resources have been spent chasing a nothing burger and it is what it is.

14. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

umm - they were stolen.

15. GoldFinger1969

Well, we have different definitions of the word "stolen." :D

eddiespin likes this.
  16. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

maybe - my definition of stolen is when you take property from another without permision of the owner. Once property is stolen, it remains stolen until returned undamaged to the owner.

How do you define it?

17. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Thank you. Unfortunately some still don't understand the Farouk is the only legal one. And with these being advertised in the numismatic magazines and sold at $1000-2000/pop for near a decade before the G-men realized, "Hey, this Farouk dude wanted this export license for a reason," and then abruptly put a stop to it, the money on the hoof, as we say in the horseracing industry, is this Farouk coin, and that's it. So everybody wants to be it.

Certify the doggone thing. Sure it's going to take digging and hard effort. But the same if they offer a cup as the Silver Chalice. You don't just say it. Or, if you do, you have your proof in your hip pocket.

18. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I already said it two pages back, you're easy.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
  19. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Here are the pics on the one from the Stack's-Bowers auction, the link to them, but I'd be surprised if there aren't other pics out there, as well:

https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/3-6TDFN/1933-saint-gaudens-double-eagle

20. GoldFinger1969

That's the same coin as the current one (as it should be -- Stacks/Bowers is behind both coins)....you said that there are pics of a "Farouk" coin that will NOT match up with your pic here or the one I posted in the OP leading off this thread.

We need an old pic of the Farouk Coin that doesn't match up with yours or mine to prove a switch.

21. baseball21

Wouldn’t even matter. Raw coins can change over time anyways. The switch is just a theory. It’s a no win argument that doesn’t matter and won’t change anything.

Draft saved Draft deleted