1933 Saint-Gaudens Double Eagle Graded MS65 (no holder !)

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by GoldFinger1969, Apr 9, 2021.

1. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

Oh MAN!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

As I've seen posted here from others including BB21.....this coin may or may not be the actual Farouk coin. But whatever coin it is -- Farouk or non-Farouk -- it is the only legal 1933 Saint (for now).

I have seen posters, possibly here but definitely over ATS who have insisted they have held a 1933 Saint that may very well be the Farouk Coin. So there may have been a switch at some time. There's also a picture in a book (name of book, anyone ?) allegedly of the Farouk Coin which I believe does NOT match up with the present coin. So you may have something there, Eddie.

It should be pretty easy -- if there are any photos of the "original" Farouk Coin -- to match it to the present coin, given the marks on Liberty's left leg.

4. GoldFinger1969

I'm not talking about 2 wrongs making 1 right....I'm talking about a legal precedent being used after the fact which the government has done many times before by going back on their word.

5. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

All I did was tell you the theories. There’s no evidence of it at all and really I don’t even care. There’s no picture that will prove it’s not those pictures are so bad and it’s been outside of holders so a new mark proves nothing anyways. This is the Farouk coin and will always be

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  6. GoldFinger1969

The Langbord 10 Saints weren't "stolen" -- the government just says they are.

The Liberty Nickles, Flying Cents, Indian Head Eagles -- all legal only by government whim. That Treasury official from the 1950's and 1960's said they all should be taken away as "stolen."

I believe it was an interview in The Numismatist or CoinWeek that he said that but don't quote me.

7. GoldFinger1969

Do you have pics of the 2 coins in question, Eddie ? If so, please post.

Actually, I have the (alleged) Farouk Coin in the OP so just post pics if you have them of the "Real" Farouk Coin and we can compare.

baseball21 likes this.
  8. GoldFinger1969

Folks, remember Weitzman is NOT a coin collector and didn't even WANT the coin (he donated it to the public).

He's only getting it graded/certified to maximize $$$ for his foundation.

So while it's strange that he's not having it slabbed, I'm not shocked.

9. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

For you? Sorry for your disabilities.

10. baseball21

“Due to the unique circumstances and rarity of the 1933 Saint-Gaudens Double Eagle, PCGS is taking the unusual step of, at the auctioneer’s request, grading and certifying but not holdering this rarity in PCGS’ tamper-evident holder. The winning bidder of the coin may submit it to PCGS for holdering to provide state-of-the-art security at no additional charge.”

https://coinweek.com/us-coins/pcgs-certifies-ultra-rare-1933-saint-gaudens-double-eagle-gold-coin/

11. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Then it shall be 'branded' for an eternity..........call AFIS

12. Morgandude11

This does not come off as strange to you, for a coin of such uniqueness? Why am I not surprised?

13. baseball21

I already said it was weird for them to request not to have it holdered. I would have holstered it the second I had it if it was mine to protect it. That’s their wishes though and it’s not really that unique since there’s many others out there they just aren’t legal to own. Regardless though it was certified and can be holstered if someone wants to so the pcgs hate like they’re playing some game is unwarranted.

wxcoin likes this.
  14. Morgandude11

I think there have been questions as to the validity of the 65 grade, and whether or not it is substantially correct. Many think the coin is way over graded, and find the entire procedure of the grading and sale of this extremely exclusive coin somewhat suspicious.

15. green18

This is Farouks' coin, right? It's well known that he liked to 'clean' things and make them shinny.......

16. baseball21

The grade really doesn’t matter on it. You can have hits anyways and get that grade if everything else is there. Ngc really sort of set the tone for grades anyways when they graded the others so you have to go off of those to an extent.

17. green18

18. Morgandude11

Agreed in/re NGC setting the trend. Aside from its exclusivity, it has Farouk’s pedigree.

19. baseball21

It does and more importantly it’s the only one you can legally buy. I really doubt anyone would change their bid based off a grade that puts it in the middle of the ones that have been graded. I don’t really like it much given the history around it as a whole, but I don’t think the grade will impact those that want it unless it was the finest known of them all.

20. Morgandude11

Actually, I know one collector, who is a friend in Naples, Florida. He only buys “Top of the heap” coins, and usually wants to own the “finest available.” He’s immensely wealthy, and can afford his eccentricities. I agree with you—I am more repelled by the coin’s history than in any way attracted to it.

wxcoin and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  21. baseball21

There definitely are collectors out there that want the best of the best and nothing wrong with that at all. In this case though it is the best of the best in any grade in terms of being legal. I think they did do it right putting it in the middle range of known graded ones as it is better than some and not as good as others. I wouldn’t go after this even if I had the money, but I think this is really kind of the poster child of a you love or hate it coin.

Personally I would have went after the 1822 $5 over this one if I was in this market range

GoldFinger1969 and Morgandude11 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted