1933 Saint-Gaudens Double Eagle Graded MS65 (no holder !)

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by GoldFinger1969, Apr 9, 2021.

1. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

Only after it was re-graded as an MS64+.....:D

NSP and wxcoin like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

There's something phony about this whole thing.

4. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

It can raise the market grade as much as eye appeal can. It's in the ANA market grading standards, the last I recall.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  5. Phil's Coins

Phil's Coins Well-Known Member

YUP!

6. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

I just can't believe the MS65 grade. I hit my leg with a chain saw once (actually twice but once was on the ankle) and my leg looked like hers. That's just wrong.

Steve

William F, wxcoin and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  7. GoldFinger1969

What's phony about it ?

Special coin, special treatment. As the article mentions, the Walton Liberty Nickel got the same treatment and I am sure that other high-end coins would also probably get graded only and not slabbed if their owners so desired.

wxcoin likes this.
  8. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

That's the whole idea that keeps getting missed by the critics. The government is encouraging this kind of private sector "philanthropy" within a statutory framework to take the burden off the public sector. These private entities want to run a con game with these, go ahead, but they do so at their peril.

9. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

And that's good enough for you...

They can't certify it, and they know they can't. This is bullshit so they could sell it to some sap. PCGS gets behind this is the Farouk specimen they incur liability if they're proven wrong, isn't that right? That's why they won't go on this, not now, not ever.

10. GoldFinger1969

Hey, if this IS or ISN'T the "Farouk Coin" it has nothing to do with the grade it merits.

I'm staying on the grade. As for whether or not this is the "Farouk Coin" or another one in a book or not, we can debate that too.

All I know is this is a 1933 Saint and it got a grade of MS65.

11. GoldFinger1969

There's a limit to how much you can donate to a 501(c)-3 foundation based on income and other factors.

12. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Duh. They've got to play by the rules. When they don't, they risk it. There's no need to get into that...

13. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I know that's all you know. But there are others who are beyond you realizing if this isn't the Farouk coin something isn't right about it, whatever the grade it gets. PCGS is a cop-out, there, as they won't stand behind it, only behind a grade, just like any 13-year-old collector in any of these coin forums could do just as well.

14. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Progeny is what makes this broken-kneed coin market grade MS65 and yet PCGS is unwilling to stand behind the progeny. Figure that one out...

15. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

I agree and would question the grade.

wxcoin and Stevearino like this.
  16. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Weird request not to want it holstered protecting it better.

They aren’t worth anything, they’re just sitting in a vault somewhere and not gonna see the light of day.

They won’t. It’s a done deal, no more appeals left nothing. It’s over.

17. baseball21

Did you even read the article? The seller requested no holder and the winner can send it in to be holdered free of charge if they wish.

wxcoin and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  18. baseball21

It doesn’t even matter at this point if it is or isn’t, it is the Farouk coin now and will always be that coin going forward. Nothings going to come up that’s going to change that when it’s lived as the Farouk coin for at least a couple decades and there’s not going to be a magical picture from decades ago to disprove that

wxcoin and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  19. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Yeah I did read it. And you’re easy.

20. baseball21

Certainly didn’t look like it from what I quested from you.

21. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

The Farouk coin has government paper on it in terms of the grant of an export license. The rest that sold before 1944 don’t have that government backing. Read the article again yourself.

Draft saved Draft deleted