1933 Saint-Gaudens Double Eagle Graded MS65 (no holder !)

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by GoldFinger1969, Apr 9, 2021.

1. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Yeah. And that's probably what happened the last time around this multi-million dollar coin they can't nail down the chain of ownership on was offered at auction, too. Now there's a coincidence.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Wouldn't matter despite what some claim. The picture wouldn't be good enough and the coin has been raw for decades after the picture, not matching the picture exactly doesn't mean it's a different coin even-though many will think that.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  4. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

This picture you can zoom in on to get a better look at the Weitzman 1933 Saint:

1933 Weitzman Saint.jpg

5. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I agree "pedigree" is not the proper word either. What they are looking for is provenance.

There isn't. There is a copy of the catalog on the NNP and it has no pictures of the lots, just verbal listings.

6. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

That's actually what I was looking for, I couldn't think of it. But yes, look in the earlier threads. I remember us going over that...

7. GoldFinger1969

A bit higher res:

1933 Saint.jpg

1933 Saint reverse.jpg

eddiespin likes this.
  8. GoldFinger1969

9. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

10. GoldFinger1969

The gouge on Liberty's left knee ?

11. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Yeah, the whole thing. Don't you think?

12. GoldFinger1969

Yeah, they are noticeable there...GDJMSP has shown that lighting can cover or uncover marks and blemishes so you always have to be careful if nothing shows at first.

5 big hits to the left-knee on an otherwise Mint State coin........I wonder what it was. Also wonder when they happened -- maybe when the coin was coming right off the press ?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
  13. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

I learned that over exposure of photographs can coverup a lot of scratches and circulation marks the hard way years ago. As I said before, this is an MS-63 coin, but since it’s the only one that is legal to own, you can put any grade on it.

14. GoldFinger1969

Care to guess how the gouges all hit in that 1 area of the left knee ?

15. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

It was one of the coins in the bag that took some hits. Back in the day, there was “Unc” and Gem Unc. This coin was “Unc” not Gem. Most collectors back then were not cutting hairs. They were happy with “Unc.”

16. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

It's the high point. And these are, relatively-speaking, soft, heavy coins, and with flat edges sharp enough to cut, as seen here. What puzzles me is the alignment of these cuts. If these are edge cuts, it's more than just one edge that did it. And they did it in concert. Again, just look at the orientation and alignment. This wasn't random coins in a bag that did this. I'm not saying it's PMD. But not saying it's not, either.

17. GoldFinger1969

johnmilton likes this.
  18. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

check

19. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

Too me that is even generous. I wouldn't buy this coin because it is not attractive.

20. GoldFinger1969

It's a pretty mediocre 65 CAC in my opinion, but there is ONLY 1 of them out there.

Bidding starts at $10 million.......:D

21. GoldFinger1969

Great Pics: PCGS's Twitter feed had these great pics earlier this week of the 1933 Saint. I much prefer these pics and lighting to the "pasty-looking" photos I started off this thread with.

https://twitter.com/PCGScoin
    1933 Farouk-Weitzman MS65.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted