1933 Double Eagle has sold for $18,872,250

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Omegaraptor, Jun 8, 2021.

1. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Matthew Kruse

Matthew Kruse Young Numismatist

I saw their estimate of 10-15 million and I knew that was low. Who is the lucky winner?

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  4. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

5. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

I wonder if the new owner is going to entomb it?

Rushmore likes this.
  6. Dima

Dima Member

Another addition to D.L. Hansen's collection? :)

Cheech9712 likes this.
  7. charley

charley Well-Known Member

The Jenny, the 1933 DE, and the 1856 Magenta British Guiana..... no luck involved at the prices these pieces sold for. Just investment, that's all.

Weitzman can do what he wants, it is/was his property. Leaving a heel i.d. on the Magenta, while I understand, is sort of sad, in a way.

He simply saw a high end to the market for these 3 pieces. Can't really blame him.

GoldFinger1969 and Cheech9712 like this.
  8. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Don’t know, I was outbid before the auction even started :-D

johnmilton and Santinidollar like this.
  9. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

10. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

11. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Almost certainly not since David Lawrence already commented on it on CU and said nothing about them being the winners

12. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

Winner might have been "Tyrant". The $10 U.S. gold set that will be displayed
    at this years ANA in Chicago will be worth the trip just to view. The set belongs
    to "Tyrant".

13. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

So the curtain came down. And the TPGs are still afraid to slab it...

14. Jim-P

Jim-P Well-Known Member

Darn, I missed it!

15. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

According to a PCGS blurb from April: "Due to the unique circumstances and rarity of the 1933 Saint-Gaudens Double Eagle, PCGS is taking the unusual step of, at the auctioneer's request, grading and certifying, but not holdering this rarity in PCGS' tamper-evident holder. The winning bidder of the coin may submit it to PCGS for holdering to provide state-of-the-art security at no additional charge."

16. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Yeah, I read that, back in the April thread. I didn't believe it then, and I still don't. First-off, MS65 is a gift, given that broken kneecap. But, OK, gift it. Is it ever going to do any better? It barely makes MS64, how is it going to better MS65 CAC? So there's no reason for the owner to balk. There's #1. And name me a TPG that wouldn't pay to get its brand on this coin? There's #2. So, what do we got? #1, an owner with every incentive to lock in at this grade, and, #2, a TPG that'll do it for free if asked. How does this coin not get slabbed? They're afraid of it. Now just figure out why...

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  17. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

I probably will.

CoinCorgi likes this.
  18. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

He probably has the best collection of all time but from the comments so far it’s highly doubtful it was him either as it likely would have been know pretty fast. There’s some controversy about the bidding as well as apparently the under bidder bid more than the winner.

That said Tryant or someone else could easily try and purchase it privately from the winner if they wanted to which does happen fairly regularly on monsters to avoid massive bidding wars

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
    GoldFinger1969 and tibor like this.
  19. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

If memory serves, I think that was graded MS-63 at one point, which is the right number. Now PCGS and CAC say it’s MS-65. I guess the gash on Ms. Liberty’s shin doesn’t count. I’ll have remember to mention that the next time I think that a TPG has shortchanged me.

thomas mozzillo and eddiespin like this.
  20. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Perhaps the date got graded instead of the coin. Maybe it doesn’t make a lot of difference. It would have sold for big bucks with a tire tread across the obverse.

21. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

It doesn't mean anything unless a miracle happens the pieces the government confiscated get on the market. Then it might mean a lot.

GoldFinger1969 and Santinidollar like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted