1932 P Washington Quarter - I'm might need talked outta this one...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by phankins11, Sep 4, 2015.

1. phankins11

phankins11 Well-Known Member

So I know a guy who has this quarter (see pics). It's obviously very reflective and for a 1932 that's not typical, not saying impossible, but just not typical. He's asking between MS63 and MS64 money. In looking at the coins I don't see the normal "whizzed look" , the surfaces certainly don't look dull and hazy, but the picture below through the loupe has me wondering. So is it polished? (yes I'm separating polishing from whizzed because in my mind they are two separate doctoring methods.) Well, I don't see a ton of hair lines, the obverse pic is not the best and does show one or two what could be hair lines. Dipped? well I don't see the dead surfaces you see with dipping, but I do notice haze around the obverse devices...under the bust, around the date... Luster looks great on the reverse. Washington's hair looks really good, detail wise, and the curls around his ear don't look flat and I don't see any luster breaks there. Reverse I see good detail in the breast and leg feathers. Wing tips look good and the strike looks to be above average for a 1932 P IMHO.

For my set, I'm not looking for graded coins, and I'm not as concerned about previous cleaning (dipped), its just a set for me to enjoy and learn from. What I don't want is to pay this kind of money for an obvious whiz job or polished job, if its been dipped...I might be OK with that.

Here's the kicker, the guys is willing to trade me for some silver *as collateral* If I don't like it, we will trade back. I think the price should be lower he is willing to send back some of my silver...I have purchased from this person before, hes straight up, honest, nice to work with and I trust him.

You know how it is tho, when you are passionate about your coins, some times you need others to unclouded your judgment because you really want it. That's where y'all come in. Here are the pics, tell me what you think about the condition of this quarter. Is it worth trading for collateral to get a better look?

1932Obv.jpg 1932rev.jpg 1932loupe.jpg
    1932-reflect.jpg 1932reflectrev.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jason Hoffpauir

Jason Hoffpauir Avid Coin Collector

I am no expert...but it looks too"shinny" to me. Sometimes if it looks to good to be true, then it isn't. I would pass. But like I said its your choice. If you like it that is all that matters. I know my advice probably didn't help you much but IMHO. Have a great weekend. :smuggrin:

phankins11 likes this.
  4. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

polished, punt

also, not unc

Kirkuleez and phankins11 like this.
  5. phankins11

NO! NO you did not! :cool:

But I appreciate your input any way...Yours is what I expect from other people...too shinny...

6. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

I think it's been polished as well.

phankins11 likes this.
  7. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I have to agree with others. I actually saw an original roll of these being opened about 25 years ago, not one of them looked that shiny. I believe its polished.

phankins11 likes this.
  8. phankins11

That is fantastic experience to have at my finger tips...much appreciated!

9. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

I would avoid as well. Does not even appear attractive to me.

phankins11 likes this.
  10. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

I'll hop on the "don't buy it" bus unless he sells it to you for close to melt.

phankins11 likes this.
  11. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

There are some PL quarters of the era, but this one is not one of them. The image through the loupe really gives it away that it has been heavily cleaned.

phankins11 likes this.
  12. phankins11

That is where my personal suspensions were from as well...

13. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

Doesn't look good to me.

14. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Either polished, dipped or both. Pass on it. If it graded MS-61 I be surprised.

15. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Hell no.

If you say this fellow is straight, I've no reason to doubt you, but it's only reasonable to ask yourself why he's asking "63-64 money" for that coin. If the honest person you say, then it suggests that perhaps he may not be quite as knowledgeable as one of you thinks, which is, unfortunately, commonplace with all too many self-described "dealers", sellers, flippers, collectors, etc. This isn't meant to be a black eye, but is something you may want to keep in mind when contemplating any future business with him, especially if in an area you're not that familiar with.

16. mackwork

mackwork Caretaker of old coins & currency

17. phankins11

it's not a think, it's a know, he's just not as educated, and I knew that, which is why I had to put it to the fire out here. And apparently I'm not as solid on it as I thougt I was on this kind of doctoring eithrr, I just wanted this to be a good deal and it's not.

18. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Completely understood, and asking was certainly a good thing. Perhaps next time all will turn out for the better.

phankins11 likes this.
  19. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that the coin has been polished. Perhaps not with a compound but definitely with a soft cotton cloth.

phankins11 likes this.
  20. NorCalJack

NorCalJack New Member

PJ

The surfaces of that coin has been altered. I also disagree that the coin is uncirculated.

I do agree that finding flashy 1932-P quarters are very hard to find. It took me several years of looking to find an MS-65. I think it is easier to find a flashy MS-66 than a MS-65. Almost impossible to find MS-63 that is flashy unless someone polished the coin.

I would pass on that coin and keep looking. I don't think you will find a flashy MS-63 however. But that is the thrill of the hunt. Keep looking.

Jay

phankins11 likes this.
  21. phankins11

Jay! Great to hear from you out here! Thanks for chiming in.

Draft saved Draft deleted