1932 (fake D?) Washington Quarter

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Zirbg, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Zirbg

Zirbg Member

Is it true, do I have another fake in my collection?
    One of the reasons I am suspicious is because I found a fake 1916 D Mercury dime in the same lot this quarter came from.
    http://www.cointalk.com/showthread.php?t=170245&p=1161546#post1161546
    I looked up other 1932 Ds but don't have the eye to confirm either way, so once again I rely on the group, you guys are amazing... Thank you in advance!

Washington quarter.jpg Washington quarter1.jpg Washington quarter2.jpg Washington quarter3.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

I see why you are wary. The wear on the oberse is quite bad when compared to the reverse. I did not see any deformation on the otherside of the "D". I just can not help, without haveing the coin in hand.

4. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

No one assured you that the 16-D was fake. Even though it likely is, but.......

I am far from an error expert, but I think I am seeing strike doubling on both the letters in the area of the MM and on the MM itself. I really doubt that can or would be incorporated in a counterfeit.

5. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

The obverse wear is typical of a circulated 32-D, especially "In God We Trust". Almost every counterfeit example I've seen has "chattering" around a portion of the rim. There's always the possibility of an added mm, but there doesn't appear to be anything definitive in these photos to positively declare this coin fake.

Draft saved Draft deleted