1931 S Wheat Cent - odd toning / polished?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Mark Metzger, Apr 5, 2022.

1. Mark Metzger

Mark Metzger Well-Known Member

Not sure what to make of this Wheat cent. It was part of a large collection and in an old plastic flip. I cave it a soak in acetone and that didn’t do anything. Would love thoughts on grade/ details/ value. Obverse seems polished but the reverse doesn’t.
    3D844D3C-6F5F-46FE-BF2A-A845E9E24CF6.jpeg 1DCFA1ED-448D-4798-9F88-B681A57E5210.jpeg 5486F5F9-D48B-48F5-927D-8DEBE3DB6FE5.jpeg 4B8E4192-2F9B-41F1-A114-5B01D6EB5C16.jpeg 7FBF3275-F9AF-4165-A3F1-5FD1F6E7AA84.jpeg

alurid likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. toned_morgan

toned_morgan Toning Lover

Older coin flips were usually made of PVC, which creates green residue when it reacts with copper. The toning on your coin is not from the PVC or whatever plastic was in the flip. My guess is that it was polished and then artificially toned on the obverse to perhaps increase eye appeal (if it was in a collection book face up, that would make sense because the reverse seems untouched)

Paddy54 likes this.
  4. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Cleaned, retoned, and an xf seni key coin is a detailed cleaned worth less than half of its value.
    Mark
    I dont say this as a put down....I say to you that alot of stuff you have posted from this purchase has issues.
    Now I understand you buy the cow you buy it from the head to tail and everything in between, I have purchased lots...or estate sales...you need to know what you're doing....as yes one get lucky at times, but there other times you dont.
    Sort of like buying a storage locker....yes always a possibility of a win....but the odds against the other are the same...50/50 .
    Please understand that I not trying to pop your bubble but I just hate it when things like this happen.
    And would be more than happy to give you a second opinion.....if asked Pryor to buying.
    Yes some of the notes you got were really nice...but will they off set your lay out for the purchase.
    Just trying to be honest with you... as to what I see as a collector of 50 plus years...
    Lastly dont be discouraged as there not one person here on CT who hasn't made a questionable purchase....if they are willing to admit it. Including myself....

Last edited: Apr 5, 2022
    alurid likes this.
  5. Mark Metzger

Mark Metzger Well-Known Member

@Paddy54 thanks for the input and the concern. I realize some of the stuff I’ve posted up from these recent lots are problematic. That’s exactly why I put them up here…to confirm my suspicions. I never overextend myself on any of my estate purchases, always insuring a profit no matter what the status of a cleaned or damaged piece here or there. You’re right about buying the whole cow…luckily I’ve bought some pretty big cows of late that more than make up for a dud here or there. I love the forum and appreciate all the input I get.

6. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Thanks Mark for your reply...please understand that I wouldn't have posted this to hurt you...or any member.
    I will admit i have made some questionable purchases over the years. I just want to be honest with you.
    Again its all a learning process, and personally I've have learned more from my mistakes than my sucesses. But please know I will be will any time to give you a honest opinion, and help in any way.

And that goes for any member on the forum....

7. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

My guess was also post cleaning toning. The reverse looks more natural.
    Still a key coin. One that I have never owned.

8. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Sure looks like the areas on the obverse are from contact, whether from a flip or laid down after a wash or something. Still, any coin that is 91 years old and still looking that good, is a nice find, IMHO.

Draft saved Draft deleted