1930 Iceland "1000 Years of Althing" Set in Gem

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by gmarguli, May 31, 2023.

1. gmarguli

gmarguli Slightly Evil™

One of my favorite set designs. The 1930 Iceland "1000 Years of Althing" set. Officially they are medals embossed with denominations. The only thing lacking was an official royal decree to make them legal tender.

I recently picked up a hoard of original sets in their original boxes of issue from a person in Iceland. Decided to keep this set for myself.

The "2 Kronur" struck in brass with a matte finish applied. This is the most common one with 20,000 minted. Also the most common one to find in nicer condition, but gems are rare. This example is graded PCGS MS66. None Finer.

46738333.jpg

The "5 Kronur" struck in silver with a matte finish applied. Mintage of 10,000. Seemingly the most popular of the 3 coins with collectors. This coin is frequently encountered with unattractive and/or thick toning or spots that can limit the grade. As with the 2 Kronur, gems are rare, but choice unc examples can be found. This example is graded PCGS MS65. One Finer.
    46155369.jpg

The "10 Kronur" struck in silver with a matte finish applied. Mintage of 10,000. By far the hardest to find in gem condition. These are frequently encountered with hairlines and seem to have been the most abused by the public. Gems are extremely rare. Choice unc examples are scarce, but available. This example is graded PCGS MS65. None Finer.
    46738340.jpg

KSorbo, robinjojo, Kentucky and 12 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

Great designs on all 3. First I’ve heard of them so thanks for sharing.

4. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

Nice coins. The designs are quite interesting. Reminds me of our visit to their coin museum a few years ago.

5. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

Great looking set of coins. Thanks for posting them.

Bruce

6. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

Love this set, though mine isn't nearly as nice.

Draft saved Draft deleted