1930 Central Bank of China~Replacement Note?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by clembo, Sep 19, 2011.

1. clembo

clembo A closed mind is no mind

OK.

I've been cataloguing a lot of Chinese paper at work. Not something I'm well versed in believe me but the stuff is getting good money on ebay and we have a lot of it.

This note struck my eye.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x275/clembo1872/cointalk/forums/china1.jpg

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x275/clembo1872/cointalk/forums/china2.jpg

I have identified this as a P329. Lists at $4 in CU.
    We have about a hundred or so. The reason I set this one aside is that, as all others have a 2 letter prefix, this one has none.

Can anyone help me out here? Is it a replacement note?
    Any help and an idea of value would be helpful. I'm considering purchasing it myself.

Thanks,

Clembo

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dr Kegg

Dr Kegg Star Note Fanatic

Sorry, but I'm not familiar with these types of notes. I know that some people in the forum collect world money/Chinese. Maybe one of them will chime in soon to help you out.

4. lettow

lettow Senior Member

It is not a replacement. The ABN printed Custom Gold Unit notes progressed from serial numbers without a letter to single letter and then double letters in the serial number. This would be one of the earlier notes.

Although these are not catalogued separately in the Pick catalog, they are catalog separately in catalogues of Chinese notes printed in China. Some of the varieties have vastly different values for the different types of serial numbers.

Another clue that this is not a replacement is the printer. It was printed by American Banknote Company which did not print notes with identifiable replacements. They apparently used a make up system for replacing defective notes where a note with the same serial number was printed.

5. clembo

clembo A closed mind is no mind

Thanks lettow,

You are a fountain of knowledge as usual.

Draft saved Draft deleted