1929 wheat cent on a 2.7g zink coated planchet?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by maddurfee, Oct 18, 2017.

1. maddurfee

maddurfee Boy Wonder

I found this cent searching a bag of wheats I got from a dealer. Its smaller in diameter than a normal cent and its zink coated. It weighs 2.7g. Was there a planchet like that in 1929, foreign or U.S.? Anybody have any idea.. CM171018-00391113.jpg CM171018-00261001.jpg CM171018-00265502.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

I am thinking that your coin was modified after it left the mint. It seems as though someone was trying to make it look like a dime. Sure was some hard times back in the 30's.

Chewmassa likes this.
  4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Zinc coating? How did you get to that conclusion. Looks all copper to me with Environmental Damage.

Chewmassa likes this.
  5. Chewmassa

Chewmassa Now where could my pipe be?

Gunna have to agree with alurid, it was most likely shaved to fit in a dime roll.

6. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

Yes, it was cut down, or shaved;
    likely to be used as a dime.

7. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

Regular composition and mutilated outside the mint.

Chewmassa likes this.
  8. fish4uinmd

fish4uinmd Well-Known Member

As a dime slug for a vending machine??

9. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

Yes - don't know for certain, but that's
    what most of the cut-down coins were
    used for like that --- there were other
    purposes too, but we can assume this
    particular coin was cut down to be used
    as a dime in a machine.

10. fish4uinmd

fish4uinmd Well-Known Member

Back in the 50's, some Coke machines would accept cut down electric box "knock outs" as nickels...or at least that's what I was told...;) ;)

Attached Files:

11. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Acid coin. Surface porosity. If you time the rate of decrease of size and weight for a certain acid conc. , the same type of clean cent coins will end with the same properties. Copper and silver are close enough in density to fool most machines. the last dime machine I have seen was a "dime ball" dispenser my son found at a restaurant 25 years ago. Jim

12. Nyatii

Nyatii I like running w/scissors. Makes me feel dangerous

When I was about 10 years old, my older cousin would spend hours filing down cents so he could cheat vending machines. He handed me one once an I tried it in a pop machine at a filling station. The owner ran out and immediately threw open the machine and did one of those "Ah Hah!" things and chased me off. Short lived crime spree.
    I think my cousin also tried splitting $1 & $10 bills in half so he would have two $10's. I know he spent hours trying to do it, but don't know what became of it.

13. maddurfee

maddurfee Boy Wonder

CM171018-00352812.jpg It was in the bottom of the bag with a bunch of steel cents and I thought it was a 1943 along with the others. It wasn't until I looked at the date that I was it wasn't. Im thinking the zinc came from the steel cents that it was in contact with. I guess it has been filed but I wasnt sure if it had some milling issues with the rim.. here it is next to a steel cent

14. maddurfee

maddurfee Boy Wonder

Thanks for the feedback, everbody. As always, its much appreciated..

Draft saved Draft deleted