1929 s DDO

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by eric6794, Feb 7, 2016.

1. eric6794

eric6794 Well-Known Member

Old Doubled dies are hard for me to determine because the wear of circulation but what makes me think this coin is one the eyelid according to variety vista the ddo-01 has a doubling on the eyelid which I see in this coin, the date and the legend has some rounding. I dont see anything for comparison 29s1.jpg 29s2.jpg 29s3.jpg 29s4.jpg 29s5.jpg 29s6.jpg 29s7.jpg 29s8.jpg 29s9.jpg 29s10.jpg

swamp yankee and tomfiggy like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Does Variety Vista note other characteristics for the coin with the doubled eyelid?

Chris

tomfiggy likes this.
  4. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

"Medium spread on 19 of date with light spread on eyelid"

Here's Variety Vista's photos of 1929s DDO-001.
    http://www.varietyvista.com/01a LC Doubled Dies Vol 1/1929SDDO001.htm

I don't see anything on the date of the OP's coin, could be too worn. The eyelid looks interesting though it could be a conveniently places contact mark. I will try to take photos of a regular eyelid on a 1929 wheat cent to compare with yours.

Stevearino and tomfiggy like this.
  5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

The eyelid looks different on the plate photo. I think the OP's coin has too much wear for further comparisons.

Chris

6. coinman1234

eric6794 and tomfiggy like this.
  7. Mark Oliver

Mark Oliver Active Member

Wicked nice photos man. Wish I had the experience to help with your question.

eric6794 likes this.
  8. coinman1234

I agree, very good close ups. How did you take them @eric6794?

eric6794 and Stevearino like this.
  9. eric6794

Thank you

10. eric6794

I am using a 5 megapixel usb microscope camera with built in led lighting made by levenhuk

11. eric6794

Hmm thats interesting wonder if it would be worth sending to Wexler for him to take a look at it. Just wondering though I have seen other "doubled eye" listed like the 92 that some believe are die gouges. I wonder if this one is a die gouge or a real doubled die. I wouldnt send to have attributed by ANACS because I just dont think that if it is a doubled die it would ever be worth enough for the attribution fee. Still cool looking and a fun find, it has been sitting in my to check pile for a while

12. anderspud

anderspud Active Member

I have no opinion on the DD, but I was intrigued by the third image, the very worn, faded one, in which the eye looks very real, in fact quite handsome

13. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

A good starting point when/if trying to compare to a known variety is the mintmark (when applicable, of course). While one being in the same position certainly does not prove a coin is indeed of the same variety, being in a different position, even slightly, can tell you that it's not.

coinman1234 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted