1929 s Buffalo nickel die crack or lamination error?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Darren Edwards, Oct 19, 2021.

1. Darren Edwards

Darren Edwards Well-Known Member

Good afternoon all

I’ve had a very good day looking through a nice amount of coins and came across this Buffalo nickel that I think is either a reverse lamination error or a die crack so thought I would post it on here to get some educated opinions before I put it in a 2x2 and mark it up as an error. As usual all help is much appreciated

GH#75 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GH#75

GH#75 Trying to get 8 hours of sleep in 4. . .

Lamination

Stevearino and Darren Edwards like this.
  4. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

5. Darren Edwards

Thank you for the replies. I was 90% sure it was but just had that small amount of doubt so wanted to get your opinions. I’m pretty happy with it but found some other great stuff which I will post in different threads. Thanks again

GH#75 and expat like this.
  6. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

I prefer laminations to die cracks. I found one that managed to just stay attached even through a lot of circulation.
    20210808_102545 (2).jpg 20210808_102701 (2).jpg 20210808_103107 (2).jpg 20210808_104253 (2).jpg

7. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Lamination Cracks.

Nothing at all to do with Die Cracks.
    Lamination issues are on the planchet.
    Die issues affect the planchet.
    Big difference.

potty dollar 1878 likes this.
  8. Darren Edwards

Obviously there’s a difference which is why I asked, I’m still learning how to determine the differences hence the post. Instead of pointing out the obvious you could be more helpful by being more descriptive regarding the differences which would help me out and end up with me posting less questions as I would be able to figure it out myself.

9. Darren Edwards

expat likes this.
  10. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Strange, but at 66 and having collected for 53 years, I am still yet to find a Buffalo nickel with a die crack. And I've searched thousands. Lamination & two feather varieties yes, but cracks, not one. Must have been "Lookin' For Cracks In All The Wrong Places".

alurid likes this.
  11. paddyman98

You didn't like my response?
    I'm here to help you.
    I'm not looking for nasty comments.
    The others posted great pictures and I thought they were good enough for you.
    If you don't want my help let me know and I will gladly add you to my ignore list.

12. Darren Edwards

Yes you are correct I did not like your post which is why I replied the way I did. You were not being helpful and I cannot imagine why you would think you were with the reply you posted. You have a lot of knowledge which I would be more than happy to have access to and would appreciate it very much but not at the cost of being made fun of or spoken down to in any way ( including sarcastic comments which have happened many times on previous occasions ) If this is an issue for you then please feel free to ignore my future posts.

paddyman98 likes this.
  13. GH#75

GH#75 Trying to get 8 hours of sleep in 4. . .

What he meant is that lamination issues are on the coin before being struck. (Planchet issues)
    And die issues are on the dies and affect the planchet after being struck.

paddyman98 and Darren Edwards like this.
  14. Darren Edwards

Maybe it was just the bluntness of the reply so on my part I took it as being blunt rather than just a quick reply

GH#75 likes this.
  15. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

The coin you posted is a Planchet Error, the type of Planchet error is a Lamination issue. When it comes to errors there is 'P' 'D' and 'S', Planchet, Die, and Striking.
    Nice find.

Darren Edwards likes this.
  16. Darren Edwards

Thank you for the reply and info, is there a site like variety vista that would have all of this type of info in one place regarding the planchet errors sorted into years and MM? Would be a useful tool in knowing what i’m looking at moving forwards.

17. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

18. Darren Edwards

Thank you for the links, I use error ref often but sometimes still get stuck in determining what I have as my knowledge is still lacking in most areas so usually with errors like this I can narrow it down to two possibilities then post here for the decision lol. I’m sure my capabilities in determining errors will continue to grow over time, just takes a good amount of research and reading ( and a point in the right direction from time to time )

19. 1stSgt22

1stSgt22 I'm just me!

@Darren Edwards You will find you will get a lot of blunt answers here but they are usually accurate and well intended!! Some members just don't take the time to chat! They prefer to look, comment, and move on!! I also do that at times! Depends on the situation and what else is gong on in my life!! Like a Honey Do list!!! LOL Nice lamination! Keep em coming!!

20. Darren Edwards

Very true I get that, maybe I’m also just having a bit of a touchy day today so don’t always know when to take things as they were intended. Thank you for the reply I’m happy with the lamination, it’s the first Buffalo one I’ve found

1stSgt22 likes this.
  21. paddyman98

Oh darn

I was on a NYC subway train. I quickly gave my response before I lost the signal in the tunnel.
    That's the honest truth.

Draft saved Draft deleted