1929 National Currency $5 Detroit

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by scotts1, Aug 20, 2016.

1. scotts1

scotts1 Well-Known Member

I couldn't find much information online about these particular $5 notes. Any opinions?

img20160820_17394455.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

We'd need a picture of the reverse to say for sure. This note is a fairly common note, since First Wayne National Bank issued a lot of currency. By the obverse, it appears to be in VG condition or so. I don't know what these really go for, but I can tell you it's not going to be hugely valuable. Still a cool note, however. :)

4. scotts1

Thanks Paul, I certainly wasn't expecting it to be very valuable but I agree it's a cool note!
    img20160820_18473857.jpg

5. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Best I can tell, a common note in that condition sells for somewhere in the $20-40 range. I don't know paper very well, so I might be a little high on the high end.

6. scotts1

Thank you!

Paul M. likes this.
  7. cwtokenman

cwtokenman Coin Hoarder

This bank was first organized on 4/22/14, and went into receivership on 5/12/33. First Wayne National Bank of Detroit is the third title used by this bank (starting on 12/31/31). Known populations for this title are 7 uncut (small sized) sheets and 437 individual small size notes. Denominations of $5, $10, $20, $50 and $100 were printed. The $5 notes were printed with serial numbers from 1 to 48754.

My 2006 reference values this note at $60 in Fine condition. Fine is described as a note showing obvious signs of circulation. It may have numerous folds but seldom retains much of its original body. It is not damaged or doctored. In general, values of these notes change by about 25% for each full grade away from Fine. So, if you feel your note would grade VG for example, it would lose 25% of the value in Fine ($15) and thus be worth about $45.

Paul M. and scotts1 like this.
  8. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I like it, being a former Wayne County guy.

Clawcoins and scotts1 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted