1929 Indian $2.50-GOLD

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Collecting Nut, Oct 24, 2021.

1. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

cplradar, -jeffB and LDRider like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collecting Nut

My pleasure and I have a few others to post as well.

4. coinquest1961

coinquest1961 Well-Known Member

I am working on a date set of these coins. It's much more affordable without the 1911-D. I just get a coin or two every couple of months. I have ten and still need three.

5. Collecting Nut

For the 1911-D, the expensive one is the strong D. The weak D is still up there but it is a good thousand or more less.

The $2.50 Indian is the only US Gold set that the average collection can complete in today’s world. At least that’s my opinion but one look at the Red Book for gold issues and you’ll understand what I mean.

Get those last three and save up for the 1911-D. Best wishes.

cplradar likes this.
  6. Collecting Nut

Including the key date there are only 15 coins in this series. Only 3 are from Denver with the other 12 minted in Philadelphia. They were first minted in 1908 and stopped in 1915. Ten years later they were minted from 1925, but only in Denver, and permanently stopped in 1929.
    It’s a short lived series and fun and basically affordable to o collect. Only 1 key date and 1 semi key date. The highest mintage in from 1913 with only 722,000 minted. The 1929, as pictured above, has a total of 532,000 minted, making it the 7th highest date produced.

masterswimmer likes this.
  7. Mike Thorne

Mike Thorne Well-Known Member

I'm still sort of working on a Registry Set of these. My '11-D is an AU58. I paid $900 for an XF45 shortly after I retired. I offered $950 for it, but the owner said that sounded like too much and sold it for $900! Go figure!

Collecting Nut likes this.
  8. Collecting Nut

That’s a steal for a $2.50 1911-D.

9. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

I would advise collectors to avoid the "weak D" variety unless it's really cheap. It is not the easiest coin to re-sell when the time comes.

Draft saved Draft deleted