1929 German Zeppelin Medals - Bronze, Silver, Gold

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by GeorgeM, Jul 30, 2015.

1. GeorgeM

GeorgeM Well-Known Member

I recently picked up a third variety of this gorgeous Weltfahrt (world journey) medal. These were minted to celebrate the first successful aerial circumnavigation of the world.

The gold version is Kaiser 511. The silver version is Kaiser 510. I'm not sure about what the bronze one is classified as since I don't know what reference book the Kaiser numbers come from. 509, perhaps?

Attached Files:

ffrickey and chrsmat71 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

The Kaiser numbers are from ... the Kaiser catalog.

Hans Kaiser, "Medaillen, Plaketten, Abzeichen der deutschen Luftfahrt", published by Strothotte in 1998. Don't have that one (it is a specialized book about German aviation medals), and if you plan to buy it ... http://www.eurobuch.com/buch/isbn/9783980446754.html Maybe some library near you has it or can get it for you.

Very nice design (at least the 02.JPG side) indeed, with a kind of 3D effect. The gold pieces also have edge inscriptions referring to the producer/mint. Just did a very quick search, and came up with various numbers such as "511.1" for a bronze piece and "511.2" for a gold version. How much sense that makes I don't know. ;)

Christian

4. Zohar444

Zohar444 Member

These aviation medals are very interesting to me. That book does a great job cataloging the various types. Keep it up.

5. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

Nice Zeppelin medal.
    Thanks for sharing.

Draft saved Draft deleted