1929-D micro D Mercury dime

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by GeorgeM, May 25, 2020.

1. GeorgeM

GeorgeM Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how to spot the micro D variety that's noted here. "Also obscure but of far greater potential is the single reverse die having the Very Small D used for dimes only in 1916 and early 1917. This variety is little known in the coin hobby, and no market for it has developed, but collectors should make every effort to cherrypick examples whenever possible. The coin illustrated bears the normal mintmark style of 1917-34."
    https://www.ngccoin.com/coin-explorer/mercury-dimes-pscid-31/1929-d-10c-ms-coinid-14974

It seems odd to me that this isn't a big deal. Any thoughts about why that is?

Is the mint mark on this piece a bit small (or damaged from a post-mint-smoosh)?

20200525_150522.jpg 20200525_150533.jpg 20200525_151256.jpg

capthank and LakeEffect like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dimeguy

dimeguy Dime Enthusiast

I will admit, I also do not exactly know how to spot the "small D" variety. If I would wager a guess, it would be to see the opening of the D and tails at either end, but again, just a guess. I do know of the 1928 S, 1941 S and 1945 S varieties, and have them, but have not heard of the '29 D small D Mercs. I do not think there is much of a market for it because it is difficult to ascertain. What one may see as small, other may determine to be large. It is easy to see a difference in size by the S, even seeing trumpet tails, but D can be difficult to tell difference between sizes, wear, smudging during minting, etc. and the effort to place in mint mark size determination does not pay off in the market, so in a sense, why bother? Either way, I would be interested in learning more of the mint mark variety if any other members have some insight.

GeorgeM likes this.
  4. BlackberryPie

BlackberryPie I like pie

Here's a trumpet tail.
    DSC_0522 (2).JPG

GeorgeM likes this.
  5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

The only micro mintmark I know about is the 1945-S. Of all the Mercury Dimes it's the only one listed in the Red Book.

6. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

My Redbook shows both 28s and 41s varieties

LakeEffect and Collecting Nut like this.
  7. Collecting Nut

Not mine which is a 2017 book.

8. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

Both my 2010 and 2019 Redbooks reference the 1928s and 1941s

9. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Average Circulated Supporter

My 2018 Mega Redbook (the "Dime" edition) cites both the 28-S and 41-S varieties.

Small-S being common and large-S being the rarer variety.

GeorgeM likes this.
  10. GeorgeM

Does anyone have a micro D available for comparison?

11. Collecting Nut

Ya gotta love the differences.

12. dimeguy

dimeguy Dime Enthusiast

I want to know if someone can see details of the 1929 D in the Cherry Picker's Guide?

13. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

No 29 D Mercury Dime in CPG. For the 29 S there is a DDO listed.

chascat and GeorgeM like this.
  14. Dimeman

Dimeman Member

There appears to be a difference in size of the "D" on 29-D Dimes. It looks to me that the difference is the same as in the 34-D Large and Small "D". The opening of the "D" is the PUP. The Small "D" has a small triange opening pointing East. While the Large "D" has the shape of a half circle.

Spark1951, GeorgeM and Keyman64 like this.
  15. Dimeman

Dimeman Member

I forgot to mention that the 29-D in the OP link appears to be the Large "D" while the photo of the circ coin appears to be the Small "D".

Spark1951, GeorgeM and Keyman64 like this.
  16. GeorgeM

Which picture of the circulated coin shows the small D? I'm looking for one to compare against

17. Dimeman

Dimeman Member

The one in your first post.

18. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I am familiar with the 1945 micro S.
    It would be nice to have complete list of all the years and mint marks
    for this series, about large and small mm varieties.
    And which sizes are lower minted for that year.

19. GeorgeM

I'm very confused. All 3 pictures in the OP are of the same coin.

20. Dimeman

Dimeman Member

Yes, but the one in the embedded link is a different coin and is a large D.....where the pics in the OP are of a small d.

GeorgeM likes this.
  21. GeorgeM

Ah, gotchya. Thanks - that's what i was thinking too.

Draft saved Draft deleted