1928 wheat penny weighs less then 3.11

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Browncow, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Browncow

Browncow Member

This penny does not balance with my other wheat pennys. It feels lighter. Does anyone know why it would weigh less. 20170813_230824.jpg 20170813_230824.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ob77

Ob77 Member

Wear and tear from the looks of it. I mean at 89 years old it looks like its been through a lot. 4 ex wives. 7 kids. Depression, war you know the usual [emoji6]

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

4. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

There is a tolerance. Not all copper cents weigh 3.1. Some can be slightly more or less. Assuming this was one that was less, and subtract a little weight for wear, and that's what you end up with.

5. Paul Otts

Paul Otts Member

You didn't say how much less it weighs, but the coin is well worn and likely lost weight to wear and tear.

6. Browncow

Browncow Member

I dont have a digital scale so i wont know. But it does balance with the zinc.

7. Ob77

Ob77 Member

Digital scale when it comes to coins. = PRICELESS.

8. Browncow

Browncow Member

First thing tommorrow morning, thats what im getting.

9. Browncow

Browncow Member

Just thought maybe it was struck on a different planchet. But after reading your comment, my hopes were shot down. Lol
    Thanks for the help.

10. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

A good general rule: If you see something “different” on a coin with a lot of wear or damage, the unusual area is almost always related to the wear/damage and not an error. That’s not to say that you can’t find errors on worn/damaged coins, but it really takes a good understanding of the minting process to separate the damage from the error.

This isn’t meant to be discouraging. Keep looking. Remember, you have a better chance to struck by lightning twice in your life than you have to win the lottery, but people win the lottery (it’s just not you and me) :)

11. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

And PRICELESS is usually available for $10 - $15.

Ob77 likes this.
  12. Ob77

Ob77 Member

Bahaha[emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

13. Paul Otts

Paul Otts Member

I just recently found a Lincoln Cent which appears to have been worn almost completely smooth. I weighed the coin and it weighed 2.5 grams. The measurements of the coin are the same as it was minted. Is this a mint error?

14. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Probably not. Have an image?

15. IanC

IanC Numismatist

I don't have a scale either. I guess I'd better get one as well :)

Draft saved Draft deleted