1928 R Italia Bvono DA L1

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Morpheus, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Morpheus

Morpheus Active Member

Hello everyone. This is one of those coins I picked up just because I really liked the look of it. It does not fit anywhere in my collection, but I just had to have it. I have tried researching it online, but the values I see fluctuate wildly, and quite frankly all of them I have seen online are in quite a bit worse shape than this one. Is there anyone here who might be able to give me a ballpark figure on it? Thanks. 2.jpg 1.jpg

Bambam8778 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

4. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Nice coin. I've always liked this type.

Here is the same page that @alurid just linked, but with your coin's date highlighted.

It catalogs $20.00 in XF40 and $100.00 in MS60.

Yours appears to maybe have the slightest bit of rub on the high points, which would make it a choice About Uncirculated example (AU55 or so, I'd say).

If it were sent off to a grading service and did grade out as a Mint State coin, it would be better than MS60- more like MS63, if you're lucky. Then it's a $300.00 coin by the catalog, but unlikely to fetch that much in the real world.

But that's a somewhat wishful scenario. As mentioned, I believe it is an AU coin, so it would most likely fall between the $20.00 XF40 value and the $100.00 MS60 value.

My guess? $45-50-ish, retail. Take that with a big grain of salt, though.

I'd advise you try a little acetone or rubbing alcohol to see if you can remove those fingerprints, but don't dip it in any other kind of cleaning product or scrub it too hard. Just a gentle rub with a Q-tip, then a rinse with distilled water.

Here is the Numista page for the type, which has some additional information. Note that their listing "has the numbers mixed up" and puts a higher value on VF than XF, which is absurd. That kind of column-mixup glitch usually happens on the NGC/Krause pages, as @alurid noted. The Krause Standard Catalog of World Coins crew is understaffed and obviously don't have many people to proofread their catalog.

"BUONO DA L.1" is "good for 1 Lira", as you might have guessed.

5. Morpheus

Morpheus Active Member

Thanks for that great info! Seems I did ok for $18 then. I will definitely give the acetone or rubbing alcohol a try.

alurid likes this.
  6. lordmarcovan

Oh, for 18 bucks, most definitely. Good grab. The rubbing alcohol or acetone might not do much to help with those fingerprints, if they're old, considering this is a nickel composition coin. It might be too late to do anything about that, if the fingerprint oils have reacted with the coin's surface. You might just have to live with them if that's the case. But they're not too awful in any event.

7. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

Beautiful coin! Great addition to the collection!

Morpheus likes this.
  8. Joshua Lemons

Joshua Lemons Well-Known Member Supporter

I love many of these older European coins because they have a very classic sculptural vibe. I've seen some from San Marino and commemoratives from Portugal that are really nice from this era.

Morpheus and lordmarcovan like this.
  9. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

That's a really well done design...nice! ...Spark

Morpheus likes this.
  10. Morpheus

Morpheus Active Member

So one other quick question in regards to this coin. The NGC price guide link only shows up to MS63 at $300. Is there any way to see that list in it's entirety? Like see what they value a MS65 at?

11. lordmarcovan

That is the whole list. Usually you will get only a few grade columns for each type; seldom more than four or five. Sometimes they'll skip grades. Frequently you're lucky to get Mint State grade data at all for certain types. And don't get me started on the errors and glitches in their database!

One just has to extrapolate. Literally "read between the lines", if your coin's estimated grade falls between two columns.

Take About Uncirculated, for example. I cannot recall ever seeing an AU column listed for anything in the Krause Standard Catalog (from which the NGC data is derived). For AU, one has to extrapolate between the XF column and the first MS column listed.

For coins whose grade is well above the top grade listed (as in this case, if you hypothetically had an MS65 but MS63 is as high as the listings go), then looking at closed auctions is the best- often only- indicator.

Also, one must remember that the addition of US-style Sheldon scale numerical grades is a relatively recent addition to the Krause catalog. If I remember correctly, only the sections for US and Canadian coins used to use Sheldon grades like "XF40", "MS63", "MS65", etc. Everything else listed in the book was just the older, simple adjectival grades without numerals (VG F, VF, XF, UNC, and BU).

12. Morpheus

Morpheus Active Member

Thanks for the info @lordmarcovan . I do, in fact, have a MS65 that I recently purchased. It is on it's way here from Sweden, and I should have it in hand tomorrow. I feel I did ok on it, considering I paid quite a bit less than what they list a MS63 for.

MS65 Alone.jpg MS65Obverse.jpg MS65Reverse.jpg

lordmarcovan likes this.
  13. lordmarcovan

Congratulations, that is a truly beautiful coin. I've had some in the AU to lower MS range, but not of that quality.

Morpheus likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted