1928 $2 Star Notes

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Browns Fan, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Browns Fan

Browns Fan Active Member

I'm unable to find production figures for these notes. I have the numbers for the regular notes, but not the stars. Can anyone help? Thanks.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

4. Browns Fan

Browns Fan Active Member

So, I'm not the smartest guy in the room, but looking at the chart, leads me to believe there were 4,152,000 star notes printed for the entire 1928 series and that they were only printed for C and D bills. However, my Standard Catalogue of US Paper Money, 33rd ed., seems to indicate each series, A thru G had star notes. They also list 1928 D 4 times, which puzzles me.

5. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

I believe the star serial numbers listed are for all of the series 1928 $2 LT's, and not just for 1928C and 1928D....I may be wrong, but that's how I understand it.

Browns Fan likes this.
  6. Numbers

Numbers Senior Member

Right. Back then, there weren't hard breaks between one lettered series and the next; the BEP would mix old-series and new-series sheets freely until all the old-series printing plates finally wore out. So we can tell you the overall serial range for the 1928-1928G star notes, but we can't break it down into ranges for the individual series, because there are significant overlaps.

The best you can do is to record serial numbers from a whole lot of observed notes, and begin to work up estimates based on the highest and lowest serials ever seen on, say, a 1928F star note. Even then, you have to be careful, because there are going to be some 1928E and 1928G stars that fall within that same range too.

By the way, the same is true for the non-star notes of these series. If you have production figures for the individual series of 1928-1928G $2 non-star notes, those are also somebody's estimates, based on observed serial numbers. Not until the Series 1935D-1935E transition did we start to get hard serial number breaks between series, where we can say that the 1935D notes ended at N46944000G and the 1935E notes started at N46944001G.

Browns Fan and SteveInTampa like this.
  7. Browns Fan

Browns Fan Active Member

Thank you both for your input. I think I'm hooked on currency, especially on $2 notes. I'm finding information difficult although I have three reference books and about a dozen websites book marked. I like to understand what I'm collecting.

SteveInTampa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted