1928 $2 Bills - How much for these??

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Skippy Topaz, May 7, 2018.

1. Skippy Topaz

Skippy Topaz PAPERBOY

A little back story first... A guy I work with recently came into possession of a bunch of old coins and notes, unfortunately after my asking him repeatedly that I would love to see the large size notes, he went ahead and sold them all along with a bunch of old Gold Coins ($5 Indian / $10 Liberty /St. Gaudins etc.) and and some Carson City Morgans, lots of cool stuff

Anyway... there's a third guy I work with that's an amateur collector (meaning only saves what he finds in change) so we're always one-upping each other and showing what we've gotten lately...

So, to make a long story longer... I want to buy a couple of these $2 bills from the first guy and pretend I got them in change just to razz the third guy and then give them to him because his birthday is coming up... :)

They're all really worn (he's got about 25 of them) and most have writing on the etc, so probably not worth much more than face, and the guy's not looking to sell them for a lot but I want to give the guy what's fair (to be honest, he'd probably say Yes to whatever I offered..)

So.. what's a fair price for these?? I did a little research and feel like a 1928 $2 in much better shape can be had for about $12 so would $5 be insulting or too much due to the condition?? - Thanks in advance :)

$2.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. DUNK 2

DUNK 2 Well-Known Member

Recent EBay sale for $34.
    01D274C5-8F07-43B9-B4EC-79FE139777C6.jpeg

4. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

the 28's are about 4 bucks each, maybe less with the writing, the 53 is like $2.50.
    if it were me, an seein how its guys you work with and your giving them away as a bday present, id give the guy a ten dollar bill for the three...
    http://papermoneybuyers.com/united_states_notes/

5. Skippy Topaz

Skippy Topaz PAPERBOY

Cool, thanks for the replies :) still bummed that he got rid of the large notes before showing me what he had but if they were in bad shape like these then I would have passed on them.. but still wanted to see them

6. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Note the torn corners...done to defeat the bad luck of the $2. Got a red seal one in change at the last coin show I went to and it had a torn corner.

7. Milesofwho

Milesofwho Omnivorous collector

I saw one with a torn corner once. The letter underneath the series designation corresponds to a specific period of printing. F is 1946-1949, and G is 1949-1953.

8. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Torn corner turns a $4 or $5 red seal $2 note into $2.50.

9. Kentucky

Turned mine into change, and that was from a dealer at a coin show!

10. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I was undecided on a purchase, (coin show) and the dealer who wanted the sale came down to $9. I gave him a 10 and he gave me the coin, and a 1979-S SBA.
    It's not worth more than a dollar but I haven't spent it yet.
    At my old B & M LCS now closed, he always used to give change with MS 60's cents.
    I assume he got them buying collections and after cherry picking what he wanted, he would let things go at face value. Not that there's a tremendous market for this stuff, but they look great and I saved them.

11. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Did you tear off a corner before you spent it? If not, you're stuck with the bad luck :yack:. I think the superstition says that if all 4 corners are gone then you have to burn the bill :banghead:

12. Kentucky

Oops...

Draft saved Draft deleted