1927 Lincoln Cent Question

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by CoinMike747, Nov 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CoinMike747

CoinMike747 Barber Connoisseur

Greetings,
    I do not have too much knowledge in the world of coin errors, but does my coin exhibit lamination?
    IMG_3845.JPG
    Thanks for your help!

-Mike

ken454 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

It is a lamination error. Nice find!

CoinMike747 likes this.
  4. CoinMike747

Awesome! Thanks non_cents!

5. Jral1

Jral1 Member

What kind of lamination does a copper wheat cent have? I thought they were pure copper!

6. Jral1

Jral1 Member

So this is just called a lamination error? what type?

7. non_cents

Pre-1982 cents are made with a composition of 95% copper with 5% zinc. When impurities are present in the metal, laminations can occur.

8. Jral1

Jral1 Member

So the line on the left side of the field of the coin is the error? What does the other side of the coin look like can the poster post some pictures. Why do i feel like the coin doesnt sit flat on a flat surface like its warped or bent? is this true? is this coin bent or warped in anyway if so id say its just damaged post mint.

9. non_cents

Yes, that line is the error. Go to error-ref.com and read as much as you can on it, this is a classic lamination error.

jallengomez likes this.
  10. 91stang2

91stang2 Pocket change junkie

I would just like to say, nice find and a nice picture! Wish more posters would have pics like that one--neat find..

CoinMike747 likes this.
  11. Jral1

Jral1 Member

wouldnt that be more of a composit or alloy error? falure to post the reverse picture tells me he has doughts about this coin. I bet if he flips it and shows the reverse you will see damage!

12. non_cents

That's certainly a hefty accusation with little to no logic involved. Maybe the OP has a life, after all it is Thanksgiving, and they are busy watching football or recovering from a nice dinner. And if the anomaly only shows on one side, they would have no reason to post a reverse photo.

It is an improperly mixed alloy, which results in a lamination error.

jallengomez and CoinMike747 like this.
  13. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

If you would take the time to study laminations, you would understand.

14. jay4202472000

jay4202472000 Well-Known Member

Jral1, this coin is a real error. The nickel isn't. You need to do a ton of research and quit trying to confuse people. Stay under a bridge much?

Mike, nice find man! Congrats! Great pic too.

15. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I agree it was Ok to ask to see the reverse. I am sure if this was in anyone's hands, they would turn it over. One can also speculate that there might be post mint damage on the reverse, this follows our 'you can trash the coin' but not the person, but you can not speculate that the poster did it intentionally. Please learn to word your comments without any accusations. Thanks

CoinMike747 and non_cents like this.
  16. CoinMike747

Thanks for the comments guys! This was pretty awesome to find! Ill post reverse pictures soon. I didn't picture the reverse side as it was rather insignificant to the error.

17. CoinMike747

18. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

You take some nice images Mike.

CoinMike747 likes this.
  19. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I second that. Wish I could take pictures like that.

CoinMike747 likes this.
  20. 91stang2

91stang2 Pocket change junkie

could you possibly indicate how you got the clarity, background and extra's!! ?????? I got a Celstron, usb--but nothing I take come any were's, I am in Lousiana right now, close to what was posted here-
    Thanks1

CoinMike747 likes this.
  21. Jral1

Jral1 Member

Is it just me or has this coin been heavily cleaned. Would that affect value if true. I just like the year but it looks like it was polished/cleaned heavily more so on the obverse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.