1926 Wheat Die Cracks x's 2?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by CatW, Feb 21, 2017.

1. CatW

CatW Member

Found this in a parking lot. Never looked at it until this morning. I believe there is 2 die cracks and is that a cud on the 2 in the date or just damage? Thank You!

20170221_123450.jpg 20170221_123322.jpg 20170221_123256.jpg 20170221_122759.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

The 1926 is a lamination error, not a die crack. And it looks like a die chip at the base of the 2.

CatW and paddyman98 like this.
  4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Correct. As Tommy stated it's a Lamination error.
    A Die Crack is on the Die Itself. When a blank planchet is struck with the cracked die, the metal flows into the small opening and will look raised. A lamination is an error on the blank planchet. Looks like peeling metal.

But what you have is a minor error. Not a major error with no big premium.

CatW and tommyc03 like this.
  5. paddyman98

Also. A cud is formed near the edge of any coin. A Die Chip is on the field not near the edge. Could be a small Die Chip.

CatW and tommyc03 like this.
  6. paddyman98

CatW likes this.
  7. CatW

CatW Member

Thank you both so very much! I figured it was a crack because of the line from the top of his head to the top edge of the coin and that the age played a part in the chipping towards the bottom. I promise I do look things up and try to find the info. But like I have experienced with past posts, no matter what I try to find, it isn't until I post here and get a definite answer or term that I am able to find the true nature of the errors and the exact information I have been seeking. HUGE thanks to you all, and know the information is retained so that I am not posting the same issues over and over. I love CT and its members!!!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
    paddyman98 and tommyc03 like this.
  8. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

On less worn wheat's, you might also look for reverse die cracks and chips at both wheat stalks and the lettering in ONE CENT. They are not everybody's cup of tea but I save them. These seem to be more prevalent on the War years cents through the 50's.

Draft saved Draft deleted