1926 penny no mint mark

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Thelionwarrior, Jun 17, 2014.

1. Thelionwarrior

Thelionwarrior Active Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Philadelphia cents have never carried a mint mark.

4. Thelionwarrior

Sure they do.... "P". But from what I've read the 1926 no mint mark penny is not as common as the other years...
    Type: Wheat Penny
    Year: 1926
    Mint Mark: No mint mark
    Face Value: 0.01 USD
    Total Produced: 157,088,000 [?]
    Silver Content: 0%
    Numismatic Value: 35 cents to $268
    Value: As a rough estimate of this coins value you can assume this coin in poor condition will be valued at somewhere around 35 cents, while one in "perfect" condition can bring $268. This price does not reference any standard coin grading scale.
    http://cointrackers.com/coins/13542/1926-wheat-penny/

im pretty happy with my find. Got a 1919 one too.

5. rickmp

Show me a Lincoln Cent with a "P" mint mark.

6. doug444

doug444 STAMPS and POSTCARDS too!

There are TENS of MILLIONS of Philadelphia mint cents, let's say 1909 to 1940 to cover all the bases --

WITH NO MINT MARK. Common dates are worth about 25c each in average circulated condition. Repeat, they have NO mint mark!!!!!

I don't want to see any more of this nonsense until next April 1............

Danjohnson, Bayern1900 and rickmp like this.
  7. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I checked the link to cointrackers and they describe it as having no mint mark. Understand that doesn't mean a mint mark was omitted, rather the cents minted at Philadelphia never bore one while cents minted at San Francisco and Denver had an S and D respectively.

8. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

Cointrackers isn't always reliable in some regards.

To the OP: it is a normal cent struck in Philadelphia. Cents have never carried a P mintmark. Not a particularly uncommon year. There were over 150 million minted in Philly for 1926. Is it an interesting find? Perhaps. Would I pay 35 cents for it? No.

jon12 likes this.
  9. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Maybe he read Cointrackers and thought it was a variety or something?

10. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

read your own post:

"
    Mint Mark: No mint mark"

11. rickmp

Yeah, that's it, it's missing the "S" mint mark. I'd go with that and send it off to Stack's Bower's. Woo-hoo! Retirement money! :rolleyes:

12. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Maybe I should sell all my Philly Morgans with no mintmark as super rare specimens.

Chris

13. doug444

doug444 STAMPS and POSTCARDS too!

If you want some real money, hire a Chinese engraver to morph them into, umm,
    1905-6-7-8-9-10-11-12-13-14-15-16-17-18-19-20. Somebody will buy them, and somebody will join CT to ask if he/she got a good deal... Guaranteed.

rickmp likes this.
  14. Thelionwarrior

Its ok to be jelly. Got lots more coming. :)

15. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

You know that we're just funnin' with you, but please, don't post any Dahlonega nickels.

Chris

16. Thelionwarrior

I know. :) luckily you guys are very helpful.

17. A_Ms_Robyn

A_Ms_Robyn New Member

Wow! There is some crazy mud-slinging going on in here! Much more entertaining than Night Court...:pompous:

18. Pastlook

Pastlook New Member

I know this is an old post, but I have a question. I have seen a penny with the S mark, but it is SO much tinier than the standard small mint mark. What is up with the different sizes on the mint marks? Thanks in advance.

19. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Best chance of getting help is taking decent photos and posting a new thread. Sorry I can't help you any more.

Draft saved Draft deleted