1925-S/S Buffalo Nickel - Market Acceptable?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Omegaraptor, Nov 10, 2018.

?

Market acceptable?

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

13D8774E-307B-4E67-AA34-1A6CDD26B835.jpeg 5DDBBCFD-3225-493E-AF8C-2B5287EECC15.jpeg CA75C13D-C9DC-401B-BAB7-D0FAE8F42C97.jpeg 9EDE16A7-712A-46B3-AC3B-97ABD413E58C.jpeg

First pic is without a lamp, second pic is with a lamp.

My second 1925 S/S Buffalo arrived today. It seems to have VF details but looks like it has an old cleaning as well. Is this coin market acceptable (straight grade) or not? I've checked all the trueviews and it looks like similar coins have graded at PCGS problem-free, but just making sure.

Thank you for your input.

Larry E and CircCam like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CircCam

CircCam Victory

Great catch and nice work on the variety hunting- I don’t think this has a shot at a straight grade unfortunately.

4. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Why not?

I don't see anything wrong with it, although I can't see the variety in the pics.

5. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

It’s a bit difficult to see without magnification. However, every other characteristic is a match to be a middle die state example of the S/S. The position of the mintmark and the chip in tbe upper loop of the S are diagnostics. With magnification you want to look at the lower right part of the S.

6. CircCam

CircCam Victory

The cleaning doesn’t look very subtle in my opinion, based on those images.

7. SilverDollar2017

SilverDollar2017 Morgan dollars

I'll say it's market acceptable.

8. CircCam

CircCam Victory

I just looked at some slabbed examples... looks like gunk being built up around the devices in the areas like they are on this coin is consistent with buffaloes in this grade. Nice!

I still think it looks like it was wiped but considering some of what I just saw that got straight grades I say go for it especially considering the variety.

Draft saved Draft deleted