1925 Mercury Dime. Die clash?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Carlos Arriaga, Dec 13, 2013.

1. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

I'm sorry but these things only seem to make sense to you. They do not make sense to me, or more importantly the error EXPERT who, so graciously, replied to your thread. You obviously do not understand how die clashes, let alone coins in general are made. The things that you describe are impossible. It's that simple... They couldn't have happened as you claim. You would know this if you understood how coins are dies are made. You have been on this forum for years, please take time to educate yourself about the minting process before you waste anyone else's time.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Carlos Arriaga

Carlos Arriaga Senior Member

2nd crop.jpg
    WAS NOT A "DIE CLASH". OK. WASN'T. But... The Peace Dollar Die "Strike" this planchet. any way. And after That The Half dollar Liberty did again. The Mercury strike (the last), almost erased all evidence

4. LostDutchman

Still not what happened. If this was the case these marks you have shown would be raised. They are clearly down into the coin. This is evidenced by the build up of debris inside the lines making them appear darker. That would not happen if they were raised. So your theory could not be correct.

5. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Hey, look what the holiday will do to you 193432.jpg

jay4202472000 and LostDutchman like this.
  6. Carlos Arriaga

Having in consideration the material reaction (SILVER=TO SOFT) After a second strike (1/2 dollar); and after a third strike (Mercury); It's impossible to keep the Original shape made by the first strike.

7. LostDutchman

No... This coin is just damaged... Only struck once... Period.

Multiple strikes don't turn design elements into scratches.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  8. Carlos Arriaga

1994 Lucky Lincoln OHIO Penny 002.jpg 1994 Lucky Lincoln OHIO Penny 001.jpg
    LOOK what happen to the Reverse of a Lincoln 1994 P Penny after a Second Impression. And here were talking about a Stronger Material. You can see the "BIG SCRATCH" crossing the word Penny in angular position. Under The flower there are about 3 long "SCRATCHES" also.
    I wish you have a Press in your home to see by yourself what I'm talking about. specially with silver (soft mat.)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  9. LostDutchman

Completely different process from what you are claiming happened to the original coin. And that's not a scratch, it's the bottom of the memorial. Believe it or not I'm trying to help you. All of the things you have described could not cause the marks on the original coin.

10. Jim M

Jim M Ride it like ya stole it

Bad example Carlos. An elongated Cent receives about 20 tons to ROLL the coin into an elongated. Coins are struck, not rolled and they get about 100 tons of pressure. You are comparing Oranges to a Ferrari here.

The coin is damaged, pure and simple. Matt, want to go and grab a beer with me? After reading this thread I need one.

11. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Thats what I was thinking, this wasn't done at any mint, quarter, dime, cent, turn the handle !!!

12. LostDutchman

Just trying to help the guy out. I'd hope one day he could become a competent numismatist and stop chasing things that aren't there. There is always hope.

13. Carlos Arriaga

That pressure it's no enough? to make changes in design characteristics.
    If is higher the pressure, higher is the chance to make changes. The sample I putted is only 1/4 of the reality.

14. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

Can't fix stupid (or the willfully ignorant).

Insider and furryfrog02 like this.
  15. LostDutchman

Ok, I quit... I tried. Enjoy your very rare scratched coin.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417534644.880714.jpg

16. Carlos Arriaga

Thank a lot for your help any way.
    "Though seeing, they do not see; Though hearing, they do not hear or understand"
    Mt 13:13

17. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

There...fixed it for you. ;)

Kasia and LostDutchman like this.
  18. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Also if it had been struck by the peace dollar dies, and then the WL half dies, there is no way the planchet would be able to fit into the dime collar to be struck by the dime dies. After the first two hypothetical strike the coin would probably be about the diameter of a nickel or greater.

LostDutchman likes this.
  19. Carlos Arriaga

Yeeeeeeep I though that from the very beginning, but the actual Dia. is only 0.703"

20. Carlos Arriaga

"THANK GOD" I can see things; You can't in a normal lapse of time.

21. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

I'm still waiting for the text of the CONECA Article.

jay4202472000 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted